Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Brandoom's Bus Stop of Doom.

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
brandoom polycounter lvl 13
Hey all,

Its been a little while since I've made one of these threads; I've just started a new project and I would really appreciate anybody's and everybody's input.

I'm going to try my best to replicate this concept from Ubisoft's recently announced Call of Juarez: The Cartel. This concept was created by Artur “Torturr” Sadlos - http://www.torturr.com/ - http://artursadlos.blogspot.com/

b987acc0c425983e9d05f86.jpg

The only parts of this image I'll likely exclude will be the birds and perhaps the distant town.. but we'll see. lol.

I feel that my current texturing abilities are the weak point in my art, so I'm going to be putting extra effort towards that. As well, I'm going to be trying to push myself to get the work done quicker... I know those two points contradict each other a little bit, but I feel that I take too long with simple tasks.

A couple problems I foresee for the future of this scene are 'wind' and foliage. Trying to portray a windy environment will likely be a bit tricky.. and foliage, well, I'm just not good at it.

Here's where I'm at;

59843517.jpg

So anyway, thats that. I look forward to everybody's comments and hullabaloo! :)

Replies

• Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aerial_Knight polycounter lvl 8
    it looks good dude cut down on polys anywhere you can and add the little shack in the back but other then that most of the work will be in the texture.
  • Artifice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, sweet concept for sure. The blockout's starting out nicely, but I'm wondering about the proportions of some of it. It may just be the angle of the shot you have, but it looks like maybe the overhang could be deeper, and possibly a bit higher up. If I'm reading the concept right, the end where the sign is hanging down is the edge, and the garage is set back. That looks to stick out more than the left side, so it might be a perspective issue with the concept. I dunno. Do what looks good, I suppose. Also, the vertical sign might could be beefier, in both width and depth. Finally, the font you've got for the front 'Greyhorse' is different than the one in the concept. Yours is a modern sanserif, the concept is one of the old 50's fonts...the name eludes me at the moment. Similar, but not the same.

I agree with ditching the town in the distance. Not only is there enough going on with the scene as is, it'll add a sense of loneliness and solitude. Screw the birds too. Last thing, I'd consider removing the scaffolding to the left and doing something else. I'm not sure what it's doing there, and I personally don't think it adds anything to the scene. YMMV.

Subscribed. Looking forward to seeing some awesome. :thumbup:

EDIT: As an afterthought, you might try and camera match the concept. It'll be easier for you to rough in the shapes, if you're trying to stick closely with the concept. Bonus points for posting it so we can poke holes too!
  • dekorkh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dekorkh triangle
    Wicked! Good start, can't wait to see this one finished.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Sick concept, looking forward!
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 14
    You're off to a solid start Brandoom! Hourences UDK tutorial has a bird particle in which you could use for educational purposes, they fly and stuff It's pretty cool. Get it in UDK ASAP (if you're using UDK, I just assume every environment does nowdays =P) with some basic lighting and terrain, you'll get some nice visualization real fast.

As usual good stuff, get crunching!
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedback and support guys.

The building and scene in general are still very much in the block-out phases. So there are plenty of unneeded edge loops and what not.

Artifice - Thanks for the suggestions; I'll defiantly take another look at the proportions. Also, I just did a quick search for a new font and this was the closest I could find to the concept - http://www.dafont.com/market-deco.font?text=GREYHORSE Which looks far more suitable than what I have on there now.

Mr Bear - Thanks, I didn't realize Hourences had a bird particle.. that may very well come in handy. And yes, I'll be building this within UDK.

Thanks again guys. I'll likely have another update for yous within a day or so. :)
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    This concept reminds me of T4 or legion, anyways good start, keep us updated!
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    looking good so far. door handles too high though. (think of the short people man!)
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

I've made some progress on the modelling.. still quite a few more to make. I'll hopefully Have all the models made and baked and ready for texturing by Friday. At that point I'll probably try and get everything into UDK.

Heres where I'm at:

27517582.jpg

I've just started blocking out the garage in the back; been trying to get some ideas for that other than just a giant door and sign.

I'm wondering if anybody here has some links to tutorials on Vertex Painting in UDK as well as how to make some nice foliage. I should probably start reading up on that stuff. I believe there are a couple pages in the Wiki which I would check out shortly.

Thanks guys.

:)
  • Artifice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Proportions look much nicer; I don't know if you changed them or if it's a better angle, but it looks more like the concept. I'd still make the vertical sign up top deeper (front to back of the building, not wider). It looks like it in the concept, and besides, you're supposed to see this thing from way down the road! It's about all you've got up top, so I wouldn't worry about it being chunky. Also, the horizontal stripe and the 'Greyhorse' lettering looks a bit tall in your version compared to the concept. Probably not a big deal. Other than that, it's shaping up nicely. I'll be interested to see it baked and with a bit of texture. :thumbup:
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Going to be sweet brandon,

As far as "tons' of loops go, don't go too low on this and end up those corners look boxy. Better to burn a few and have a good result. Besides, what does a bevel here and there cost to create that round effect you need now and then. 20 tri's?! pff.

Looking forward to this man, kick some ass!
  • Sliterin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sliterin polycounter lvl 11
    If you still don't know who do the concept, it was made by Artur Sadlos known also as Torturr. It's his website: http://www.torturr.com/ and his blog http://artursadlos.blogspot.com/.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, thank you Sliterin, greatly appreciated.

Artifice - Thanks. I did mess around with the proportions some more, as well as a different camera angle.

Rens - If this scene comes in at 20 tri's over budget... I'm blaming you! :)