Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Badass Wooden Shield WIP

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
maxivz interpolator
Hello guys, hows it going?
This time i bring you this shield i am working on, i want to finish this model and get the best looking model i can get from it and hopefully make an axe as well so the shield does not feel alone
On this project i am trying to:
-Use Zbrush(first time with it, trying to get into it even if the interface scares the hell out of me)
-Make good textures
-Make a good model so i can end up with my sucky model look that all my models
have
So far: wip, just 3d max going to export it to zbrush now

Replies

• gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
    hey bro, the model looks ok as a zbrush starting point, but it would help for you to show some wires, a base for zbrush has to have pretty even squares throughout the mesh to work optimally. And I say try to stay away from a black background while rendering use a dark gray, and with this piece especially slash1 brush is your friend here :) good luck with the piece bro
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Nice little model for your first time in ZBrush. Goodluck dood.
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Guys i need your help over here :P
    This software is driving me mad! Whenever i press alt so i can make the tool negative and scupult with my tablet my camera moves automatically :/
    Been wroking on this for almost an hour and got only this, which sucks really bad :/
    I will have to search for some beaten up wood references, if you guys have good ones please link them it will help a lot
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a good source of reference for beat up wood.

http://cgtextures.com/textures.php?t=browse&q=516

Also, make sure before you create your stroke that you are on the model itself as opposed to the canvas. Being on the canvas while holding alt down will let you pan around, but if you are on your model it will be the negative of the brush you are using. Hope that helps.

If you havn't checked them out already Pixologic has some awesome free tutorials that might be able to help you along the way.

http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/

Don't get discouraged with the learning curve of the interface either. With a little time invested you will be well on your way to making some amazing models. good luck!
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    THanks mrtutlepaste! The references are great and your right, now that i am getting used a bit to zbrush interface i find it is a really professional package with a lot of powerfull tools.
    So far, heres the shitty sculpture, i will have to bake this to a normal map, and then add a normal map from some wood seets so i can get a better look
    Thanks a lot for the zclassroom link ;)