Thanks.

Replies

• NBLM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NBLM polycounter lvl 13
    The Lowpoly:
    scopewire2.jpg
    The model has around 1k tris. Would be interesting to know what's the polycount of a modern fps sight?

I will unwrap it and try to bake the normalmap next weekend. So long!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It depends on the game of course, but for a sight you'll zoom in real close to in a iron-sights view, 1000-2500 tris is pretty common. The rearmost area could stand to have some subtle bevels there, so its not so jagged in FPV view.
  • keres
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keres polycounter lvl 12
    That model has awful optimization. I have no doubt you could make the poly count 1/3 of what it is now by merging faces and welding vertices. Overall, it looks decent.
  • NBLM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NBLM polycounter lvl 13
    @EarthQuake
    Thanks for the info. I have chamfered the rear edges of that laser cover and
    that part below, but I don't know if I should add some bevels to the slider,
    it's not that bad atm?

@keres
    Thanks, please point out the parts you mean, just saying awfull optimized
    helps me not. I think I can't see it.

Alright ...

I did a quick test bake today and I am quite happy with it. Of course
    there are some missed ray things and distortions because I haven't tweaked the cage so far.

What I like to know is if I should a some more sides to the bolts on top and side of the main body,
    the lowpolyness is quite visible.

Please give me some feedback.

Thanks!

reddotsighttestbake.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would avoid modeling that little nub on the back there on the dial, the extra geo there is resulting in a slight smoothing error?

I also probably would not model those very short bolts, just like the NM do that. They look obvious faceted here and dont really improve the look of the mesh. If you're gonna model them, model them seamless with the mesh, so you dont get the nasty seam there.

Also, look into merging more of your bits in general, like that slanted U shape in the back, you're not gaining anything by leaving this a separate chunk, you're wasting uv space and using more tris, and requiring a more complex bake for it to work.

You can cut some loops from that 6 sided cylinder, looks like you have 4 edge loops there where the bolt comes out, but its really small, should just be 2 or 1(just capped) edge loops. The round bolts could be optimized too, they're 12 sides on the inside but only have the shape of 6 sides.

You've got some skewed details on the mount area opposite of the bolts, adding an edge loop or two to that area should help the bake come out clean.

The very top of the round scope area, encasing the glass, I would bevel that edge, as it doesn't match the high well and creates a bit of an artifact, that makes it look lowpoly.
  • NBLM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NBLM polycounter lvl 13
    Long time ago and no update, sry. I had to learn how to program µController for an uni assignment :poly127:.

So, I'am almost finished with my normalmap. It's one of my best bakes so far, only
    this nasty smoothing error near the bolt on the upper side let me freak out. But I think it's not that noticeable later on with textures.
    (normalmap with ao and cubemap)
    scopep.jpg

Thanks EarthQuake for your help!
  • NBLM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NBLM polycounter lvl 13
    Ok, I had made some progress texturing wise.
    I blocked out the materials and did some minor scratches.
    reddotsightwip.jpg
    I didn't checked my uv's before painting, so some sides are flipped upside-down. What is pretty nasty to paint scratches on different UV shells.
    My knowledge about texturing is not that much. Is there an easy way to paint them, maybe projection painting or something else ?
    Is this a common method for hard surface things ?

C&C appreciated
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man, really cool! The plastic material is looking really cool :)
    Nice and clean.

Now it's just a matter of taste if you want to add like dirst in some creases. Dust and stuff.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The biggest thing is, its reading as super monochromatic, no color variation, no color in the spec, this makes it look pretty lifeless.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah it needs some yellow tape on there
    more tape
  • NBLM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NBLM polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for the replies guys!

I had so much to do lately with exams and other stuff, but managed to give the textures
    some love. I increased all my variations layers and put some dirt onto it. Of course there need to be
    done more to get this polished, but I want to start something new and I think its good enough for a place on my folio.

Thanks! :-)

scopelowpoly.jpg
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    Really nice work, that dirt splatter looks awesome! Any insight into your texturing process for that?