Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character - Average thug

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
ivars polycounter lvl 15
Decided I'd get my self one of these fancy WIP-threads so I can get some feedback on this new project of mine.

Making some average looking dude. Wanted to give him clothes that let me experiment with some different materials and textures.

Just working on the highpoly right now. The face is pretty much just sketched in, he doesn't even have eyes atm. The red sweater is also just a rough block in. I'm probably gonna give him a tanktop, so I didn't bother with any definition in the abdomen yet.

This is just a screen grab from mudbox, I just played around with some colors for fun, will get back to sculpting :P

Thug_wip_03.jpg

Replies

• ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Small update today. Going out for beer!

Did some sculpting on the hoodie, added zipper and started working on the face. Just added eyes, the whole thing needs a lot of work, but if you have any suggestions I'm happy to hear them.

Thug_wip_04.jpg
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Getting close to finished with the highpoly. Hair will be added to the lowpoly, as will a few tiny details.

I would really appreciate some feedback.

Thug_wip_06.jpg
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I really like the vest. Looks very puffy.
  • Burger Ninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks good so far, i like feeling from his face...maybe little more love for calf muscles
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    i really like this character, im surprised no one has commented thus far.

im a little confused as to how hes a thug though because right now he looks kinda more like an older marty mcfly with oversized work boots on rather than a thug, a bit too "clean" for a thug type character in my opinion. things like the tucked in tank top, his watch and the wedding ring (do wedding rings go on the left or right hand?) kind of conflict with your thug type of character, but the sculpting is awesome, really clean and i don't see really any obvious issues with the proportions

its not really necessary, but i would rough him up a bit, add some asymmetry and put a bit more "weather" into his face. keep it up though, ill keep my eye on this thread
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    looks excellent so far man. I really like the vest and shoes. the pants are nice too but I feel you could use some more macro folds going on to really push the form and silhouette.

great sculpting so far, I look forward to seeing him textured.
  • JustinPunio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the vest and especially the shoes so far... but I'm not getting a thug feel from him. He looks kinda harmless ^^

Looking forward to seeing which method you'll use to create the hair.
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Hey. Thanks guys. Glad you like it!
    I guess thug wasn't the best word to describe him... I guess asshole would be more accurate... Going for some kinda hooligan, drunken idiot, kinda guy. Not really a criminal, but the kind of guy that would get in a fight after a few beers. Gonna give him a six pack to carry along :P

Burger Ninja: I'll have a second look at his calves, thanks.
    Mike: Good points. I think the ring goes on different hands in different countries, over here we have it on the left. I'll add more irregularity and weathering in the textures.
    bounchfx: Thanks, I'll see what I can do with the pants. The folds differ a lot depending on the pose, so I guess I'll have to shoot for something in between....
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    great stuff ivars, it could be good to add some gather creases at the waist of the shorts, you have them held in with a belt but nothing to show that the belt is doing anything....if that makes sense?
  • pb4urnmys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beautiful. You sure know your stuff Ivar. ;)

You have probably already thought of this but if you want to make the guy seem poor and thuggy like an addict from a ghetto or something, the pockets and pocket flaps on his shorts would be worn out a lot, since he keeps his drug stuff, weapons and money in his pockets.

This kind of detail can be made in diffuse map of course!

But the pocket flaps, particilarly on the back of the shorts could also be folded a bit from sitting on them.
    Hope my suggestions helps
    Can't wait to see more!
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    What kinda hooligan is he? :P The whole character has a really nice feel to it, but the boots puts me off. Something like pair of sneakers, like the "casual" football hooligan would have. Or some tighter boots would work better.

That jacket is fucking intense :D
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks guys.

seth: That's a good point, I'll look in to it.
    sltrOlsson: I have this vivid picture in my mind, but I guess it's not really coming across. I put "average" in the title, because he's more like an average dude. Not like a criminal, or fighter or anything. He's like a little bit redneck, doesn't care too much for fashion, loud guy. You'd find him outside the bar by his pickup with a sixpack...

I dunno, maybe it just makes sense to me :P
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    with that explanation i think you've nailed the character down a lot more than when you were calling him an "average thug". i would just go with calling him a punk or something similar, thug makes me think criminal but that doesn't seem like what you were going for. lets see that bad boy baked :)

oh and that puffy jacket IS the sex, nice work
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    I'm feeling it. Looks good.
    My only critique would be that the tank top could be a bit more loose on some areas. It's following the muscular details too much near the pecs.

More like this imo.
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Hey guys, thanks for the kind words and feedback!

Kodde: Well spotted. Will look in to it.

Did a quick unwrap and testbake before moving on to his lower half. Looks like it's baking pretty clean. No AO yet, just normals.

Thug_wip_07.jpg
  • 7mch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7mch polycounter lvl 8
    I really like the arms and the vest. Nice baking you've got there, looks like it's high res.
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks. It's actually just 5 badly optimized 512's and I'm planning to use a 2048 for the whole character, so resolution will be even better in the final texture ;)
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Still far from done, but baby steps right :P

Aiming for 10k tris, have a few hundred to spare, but still gotta make laces, a few details and hair, so I'll need to optimize some.
    Still just temp unwrap, and not textured at all, just material colors.

Also I will address the feedback I got on the highpoly before I make the final bakes.

What do you think? Any suggestions for the color scheme?

Thug_wip_08.jpg
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Done with the unwrap and layout, still have a few minor tweaks to do, and haven't figured out how to do the laces in the best way... Tried baking it only, which didn't produce any good results, so now I'm thinking mesh...

Having a hard time deciding on a color scheme, here's a few variations... any input?

Thug_wip_10.jpg

Wireframe
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I like the blue black and red 2nd one but the last is alright too maybe just add black or blue to the shorts and brown to the belt & your good to go.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Orange and white look amazing! Different color boots maybe?
  • Patrick Svensson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Patrick Svensson polycounter lvl 14
    I almost like all 5, but nr 3 and 5 stands out little more for me. For the boots, I think it will be great after you give them some nice textures.
  • evilblah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    evilblah polycounter lvl 18
    I really like number 5 but maybe a different boot color?
  • Doofey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really liking the second color set. I do like the darker color boots on the fourth
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks for the input guys. Kinda mixed opinions. I too like the yellow white version, but fear it might look a little too clean...

Haven't settled on anything yet, but I've baked the occlusions, and started blocking in some colors (which still might change).
    Early still, but I would like to finish this so I can join the Brawl!

Thug_wip_11.jpg
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Been doing some work on the hair. This is the kind of style I'm going for... What do you think?

Thug_wip_12.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Daaaamn! That hair is smoking! I think it really makes the whole character makes more sense. Have you any thoughts giving him a weapon? A broken bottle would be cool :P
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks!

I had made some more progress on the hair, but then the computer shut down, and I hadn't saved T_T, Will have to redo it later.

Been doing some more work on the textures. Added some more shading, and color variations. Still far from finished, but getting closer ^^

Thug_wip_14.jpg
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Lookn really good, mind sharing how you approached the hair? Also, You might want to lower the value of the veins, they look a little too superficial at the moment for how much weight he's carrying. Keep it up:)
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    OHho ho i like his hair - maybe a badass tattoo? :D thugs need tattoos
  • 7mch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7mch polycounter lvl 8
    That's a really beautiful work! I agree with ENODMI though, the veins look a bit exaggerated.
    And yeas, tell us about the hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!