Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Spaceships!

Hi all,

This is our first attempt at putting together a 2d/3d composite, what do you guys think? Please be brutal, it'll only help us improve faster.

Style #1

14mqo2w.jpg

Style #2

5l8nyp.jpg

Replies

• nick2730
  • dekorkh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dekorkh triangle
    Try pushing the contrast in your ships. Space has very little ambient lighting and a lot of what makes something seem like it's in space is overdriving the lighting from one direction and having the other side go almost black.. That with some serious spec highlights and bloom will scream... "you're in space" but you won't hear it..:P
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Hmmm.. Though the overall style and theme and colors are pretty rad, I still feel like the composition is a bit off. The focal point is that bright torrent on the planet but the ships read off as awkward to me because some of them look like they are pointing past it. Maybe moving the planet more left, or put the camera more in the middle of the fleet. The ship designs are way bad ass, though!
  • Apocol0id
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zhaohuang wrote: »
    Hi all,

This is our first attempt at putting together a 2d/3d composite, what do you guys think? Please be brutal, it'll only help us improve faster.

Style #1

14mqo2w.jpg

Style #2

5l8nyp.jpg

That's intense, and really good stuff. To balance the composition it might be good to put another ship or two in the left and top-left to kind of frame up the center of the image.
  • zhaohuang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm glad you like our spaceships. I used 'our' meaning this composition isn't soley just my work alone. I'm only responsible for a bit of the lighting. This a joint piece between a bunch of us (all without much experience!)

We tried pushing the lighting contrast to a more extreme level from the first pic, and what resulted was the second picture. I'm curious whether or not the more extreme lighting is acceptable to you guys or whether or not we should back off a bit (or back off a lot.) Or is our approach just systematically off?

Thanks for the comments.
  • tharle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    i agree with erichWK about the composition - have a read of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds and see if you can apply the principles to your image.

also your background space is very dark and empty. i guess you dont want to distract from the ships in the foreground but you probably want a few stars at least to create some visual interest there.

lastly the two ships at the bottom centre of the image are overlapping the lights on the planet. this might just be my personal taste but it looks a little confusing and theres a whole bunch of negative space on the planet just above and to the right of them where you'd be able to read a much clearer silhouette.

hope that helps!