Home Technical Talk

3dsmax, Saving animations

Hello I creating an animation with the biped object. Well, how do I save my animation for export into a game engine (JMonkey)?

I do animation->Save Animation but it says no animation tracks to save.

Replies

• SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Normally you have an exporter for the specific engine.
    Most of the time you have to define a certain range for specific animations and such like 0-29 = Idle , 30-59 = Walk,60-89 = Attack and so on.

I don´t want to be rude but why bother with a Java 3D Engine?
    Why not stick with Ogre3D, or more complete engines like Unreal Engine(UDK),Unity or something like that.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Specter: Its quite fast, free, runs on pretty much anything. So far as I recall NCSoft were using JME for tool development.
    I wasn't to hot for it at first but we used it to create training sims, and its quite capable.

dudio: take a look at the OgreMax exporter. it lets you define animations by time segment. like specter describes. It works with biped so far as i recall.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It works with Biped,Customs Rigs and Morph Animations.
    Unfortunately ogre3d misses IK Animations(you can use IK inside of max to make you animations, but ogre itself can´t use IK)
    But if he wants to stick with JMonkey Engine it makes no sense to test it ;)

It´s not that i really dislike Java, but i feel more comfortable with C/C++.
    And with fast you surely mean that it´s fast aside from the fact that it´s written in Java right?

I like the Ogre3D+QT compination very much. Very good documentation on Ogre and QT, it´s fast and quite easy to learn(for me).
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    JME supports the ogre3d format. its pretty well supported.

For bytecode its pretty fast. It was certainly much better than I had been lead to believe. Ill leave the c++ comparisons alone as I've no idea :).
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn´t know that JME supports the ogre mesh format :)
    If so i take back that it makes no sense :)