Home Technical Talk

How to Fix Seams on Multi ID Textures

Hi, I decided use 3D paint to fix seams on a character which have 3 textures assigned~
What I want to do is how I can view all the textures together and fix the seam between different texture~
I tried the viewport canvas on 3dsMax 2011 but I seems like it can only load one texture at a time~
So, I wonder how can I do it, or is there any other method?
Thanks, really appreciated.

Replies

• Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Not really answering your question, but having multiple textures with seams between them sounds inefficient. It makes me presume that large textures (2048-4096) were not enough to cover a single area, so you had to use more. In that case, you should really try to split the texture on logical areas to avoid this. I can't imagine a case where this would be impossible (like one single, flowing organic surface) and you actually needing multiple textures... If it's for some really huge character, surely it's smarter and more efficient to use detail maps or something along those lines?
    Just trying to say this sounds weird and inefficient to me...
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    mud is able to load multiple textures per object and paint them...
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro_Ruhu-SGs[/ame]
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Imo, the easiest technic for the poor is to temporary merge all your textures in a bigger square, and do the same with your uvs (with uvw xform, it's simple and use a new uv channel to spare a little work) Then split your textures/uv again.

combine.jpg

I use maxon bodypaint 3D (included in cinema 4D now) personally. You can paint on multiple textures at the same time, and even on multiple layers. Great tool but lil expensive.

I agree with Xoliul though, try to put everything that have seams on the same textures, execpt when you have a set of multiple customisable heads and want them to join nicely the body, for instance.
  • KonataNX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks you all, I will try MudBox later, It looks cool~
    Btw I don't know MudBox can paint on multi textures~ =P
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    for multi texture work in mudbox there are some rules...
    you need to layout the uvs in uv tiles and you have to name your texture corresponding to that tiles...

colormap_u1_v1.tif
    colormap_u2_v1.tif
    colormap_u3_v1.tif

the "_u1_v1" are the coordinates in uv space...

to load the texture go to the paint layers...
    klick on the > icon and do a import layer..

have in mind --> head_u1_v1, body_u2_v1 wont work!
    sometimes its loading the texture but its not recommended.
    the same texture name is important..!

with the up arrow key you are able to load and unload textures...

comp_uv_multitile.png