Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Tyler Lovemark

Hey there. Been updating my website with a new layout. Am still in the process of getting some more work up there, but I wanted to get some input as I continue with it.

I'm looking for crits both on the site itself and the work in it. I know it's a lot of level design stuff and not much in the way of art, but I still wanna get some opinions around here.

http://tylerlovemark.com/

Replies

• Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    The good stuff is that u have quite a lot to show. Its good to see several levels and different enviros - makes some variation imo.
    And the portfolio looks kinda in one direction (level stuff) which is a plus as well.

Now some srtis:

1) Demo reel.
    It starts with slideshow and there is occasional slideshow later in the reel as well. As to me it kinda wastes viewer's time cauz its a video so it has to offer what images can't. Images can be seen on your sirte and in bette quality, so why put them in reel?
    Its good tho we can see the vid of 2 levels, but others after that r presented only through images again :P
    Also that cartoony character and "keys" in the end r totally useless. The quality of those assets is much lower that what u currently able to do. Showing a cube or cylinder would make same use, so I would remove that last "modeling" section (of course except for crashed cars).

2) Crash site.
    It is unclear what u did on that map. Looking at pictures and text it seems like u did it all, but in your demo reel it says only "level design"

3) overall artistically i think the major issue are textures and lighting (especially lighting). In most cases it looks random, too dark and overalll hard to read the level.
    The Overgrowth is an exception which I find a very cool level btw ;)

4) If u want to present yourself as LD as well I think u could provide more explanation/analisys for those levels' design.

5) there is no CV on your site... Ppl (especially strict HRs) often can't make a decision if there is no cv, so u risk to be rejected right from the beginning because it is unlikely they will take their time to contact u for a cv - they usually have lots of stuff to choose from :(
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    ah, and also in my opinion if beside level art u want to practice solely in level design it might be a good idea to build a level using only existing game's assets. This way u could concentrate on LD only and at the same time the level will use nice assets.
    hourences did that for some of his levels. Even tho he is level artist as well, i remember he had at least one level he did using existing assets so his work was only LD:
    http://www.hourences.com/tutorials-the-spire/

Or, on the other side, u could also make some `pure`level design which is nothing but graybox with color-coded gameplay elemets etc, just like a level design stage in production would look like. If that being a graybox would eb fun to play - then i think it might be quite an appealing LD presentation;)
  • tlovemark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated with resume and slightly more content. I wanna try and get some more stuff up before I head off for GDC. It also seems like hosting the videos on YouTube is gonna be the way to go.