Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP UDK ATTIC SCENE

Naz
Naz
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Naz polycounter lvl 7
Hi everyone, I am new to Polycount, and this is my first post.

I am working on an attic scene, modeled in Maya and rendered in UDK. This is so far what I got, the attic is suppose to be based in the late 80s so all the props im working on have to have some kind of reference to that time period. The idea is that it is stored with boxes and loads of other stuff but at the same time it is also kind of a hang out place for a young adult who made a comfy chill out room for himself.

So far the scene is around 7K polygons.

Any crits or ideas where I should go with this?

Thnx

ATIC2.jpg

ATIC1.jpg

ATIC3.jpg

Replies

• Kiser Designs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kiser Designs polycounter lvl 12
    I like where you are going with this. Few things:

I dont know for sure, but the part of the wall with the window where the wood is slanted downward looks odd. I think the wood may be straight but id look for refrence to be certain.

The arm chair is weird from the front, not sure why, it looks like i can see the sides from the front.

Also i would work on your bump maps... right now they look to soft
  • Naz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naz polycounter lvl 7
    Thnx for the comment, I will work on those changes, in maya render the normals look ok, The UDK makes them weaker, Is there any way in the UDK material editor I can slightly boost up the normals? If anyone can sujest other assets that would go with he scene and time, pls do. Thnx again for the comment :)
  • Habboi
  • Naz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naz polycounter lvl 7
    Yes id does Help! Thnx a lot Habboi! :)
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think using zbrush/mudbox/xnormal to create normal maps will boost their visible effect, often when putting diffuse textures through normal map generators such as the Nvidia plugin (and NDO to a lesser extent) they don't not provide the same intensity as surface transfer techniques.

I like the idea of the scene, so that's definitely to its credit, but several of the elements combined don't work for me.

Lighting - The scene is very dark and flat as a result, try and create a foreground, mid-ground and background area using varied degrees of lighting intensity.

Texturing - Try to create textures using normal map transfer techniques/hand painting, it is quite obvious in certain areas that the textures are flat images and as a result it looks very "cg texture-y"

Compositionally - Try and create interesting angles that have higher poly/texture resolution textures closer to the camera.

Some good reference:
    http://www.movieweb.com/dvd/DVdRq65CX6MVhd/attic
    (the attic from the goonies)

Also, Jumanji!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhi0Q-IOZlk[/ame]

Keep going on it, improving the things I stated should defiantly improve the scene, but of course its down to your own judgement.

See you by the refrigerator. :D
  • Naz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naz polycounter lvl 7
    Thnx a lot dude, thats a really good and constructive crit, will work on all of that defiantly, and yeh dont forget we got to take out the trash tonight.
  • burtonyang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree the lighting and textures needs some work.

Here's another reference of an attic if you wanted to create an eerie feeling to it:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIe-boCnR78[/ame]