Home Technical Talk

Modeling Interior Spaces

Hi, I am just curious about modeling techniques for interior rooms. Let's say for example you build a mid sized bedroom, square shaped, would the room (i.e. floor, walls, ceiling) be made from a single plane? Like, creating a box then flipping the normals on the planes? Would you even flip the normals?

Example interior: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3464/...7c846bfde3.jpg

Or would it be best to have it as a shelled box (with an exterior modelled)? I ask because I am wondering if the single plane would affect the way the room is lit 'in-game', like with max/maya/etc, where the light rays from an exterior source would pass through and light the entire room as opposed to coming through a window?

Now, I'm trying to plan out a small environment, that's why I asked about modeling techniques, as this is what my layout is like:
  • An interior room (single plane, flipped normals) connected to ->
  • An interior corridor/hallway (single plane, flipped normals) connected to ->
  • An interior mini aircraft hanger with an open doorway (shelled box w/ modelled exterior) connected/leading to ->
  • An exterior landing bay.

With the landing bay, which is like an extended platform to the hanger (imagine this environment is at a high altitude), if a character were to be standing on it, they wouldn't be able to see the interior room/corridor from the outside, so would it make sense modeling exterior parts for these interior rooms, or to just leave them as single planes with flipped normals? Unless exterior light sources would affect them 'in-game' by passing through the single plane with flipped normals?

Hope that all makes sense lol, I can re-word it if anyone needs me to.

Replies