Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Underwater Dock Station [UDK]

Starting a new project, using a few references. Had permission from a few concept artists to use it. Im also trying to figure out what this is exactly called so i can search in google for real life reference, anyone know? It would be a pressure room, underwater like in The Abyss.

Still Blocking things about, about to move to texturing main parts soon. 1 part i already know im gonna have issue with is how to do the water out the outside, and have light come in via dominant directional light so if anyone has any ideas on how that be awesome otherwise was just gonna mess with the shader

UnderwaterDockStation.jpg

Ref

underwater-docking-bay.jpg

Replies

• cox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cox polycounter lvl 10
    Supp Nick. Good theme so far.

It remembers-me the "Looking Glass Stations" from LOST tv series;

Bonniegreta.jpg

lost11.jpg

I hope it can be usefull, good luck!
  • SnaFuBAR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's called a moon pool.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnaFuBAR wrote: »
    it's called a moon pool.

Thanks, see i never would have guessed that
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cox wrote: »
    Supp Nick. Good theme so far.

It remembers-me the "Looking Glass Stations" from LOST tv series;

Bonniegreta.jpg

lost11.jpg

I hope it can be usefull, good luck!

Thanks!, any ref can be useful since the concept im going off of inst too detail since its only from 1 angle anything else helps
  • burtonyang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Based on your reference and scale, I would say the ceiling should be a lot higher. Looks good so far though.
  • Artifice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree about the ceiling, and would look at the scale of the pool, depending on how closely you're sticking to the reference you posted. I'd block in the major foreground elements (the robotic arms, or whatever you're doing by the pool) and see how it plays with what you've got so far.

Keep going, what you've got is looking good.
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i pretty much thought of Lost when you mentioned this area.

I think the scale of the stairs on the right may be too big, compared to the rail it is in front of.

other than that and what burtonyang said, looking good.
  • PolyTech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really great unique idea for a environment looking forward to seeing it completed.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnx for input guys, ill adjust tomorrow after workage. Everyone thinks of lost lol, ive never seen it oops :-)

What material do you guys think the floor is and or would be? A metal or more of a ceramic. Im giving that a go now and about to make shader
  • Artifice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost certainly ceramic, concrete, or some kind of painted metal to resist rust. Just a standard metal would be a mess of rust in that kind of environment.
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say mostly metal or concrete.
  • SnaFuBAR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it would be painted metal. maybe even rubberized. if you could find pictures of the hughes glomar explorer moonpool, that would be most beneficial i think.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artifice wrote: »
    Almost certainly ceramic, concrete, or some kind of painted metal to resist rust. Just a standard metal would be a mess of rust in that kind of environment.
    indeed from the pressure and moisture
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update, blocked in robot arms raised ceiling, cranked light up so you can see everything for now

UnderwaterDockStation-1.jpg
  • burtonyang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The scaling definitely got better, but from what I see there are still a few parts that could be proportioned better. The robotic arm looks a lot bigger in the reference than what you have; be sure to check all your props with something else. Nothing else looks funkier than unproportional objects because viewers need to understand the scale of everything before anything else. Also, on the floor texture, if you're going with metal, rust is going to play a good role in your scene. And if it's concrete, there are definitely going to be cracks and some holes from the water. Hope this helps.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    burtonyang wrote: »
    The scaling definitely got better, but from what I see there are still a few parts that could be proportioned better. The robotic arm looks a lot bigger in the reference than what you have; be sure to check all your props with something else. Nothing else looks funkier than unproportional objects because viewers need to understand the scale of everything before anything else. Also, on the floor texture, if you're going with metal, rust is going to play a good role in your scene. And if it's concrete, there are definitely going to be cracks and some holes from the water. Hope this helps.

Every input helps, thanks man. Im gonna try and nail the floor today and the walls or at least get a good idea of the material. Im just gonna make a 1024x1024 tiling texture for the floor and wall, and lay a detail normal over it for variation maybe some decals. I found a tutorial on how to make a tilable floor look more unique see if it works.

Any got another method of tackling the floor?
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Messing with shaders and ground and wall textures, the main concrete is just a place holder i dont like it, floor im still debating
    UnderwaterDockStation-2.jpg