Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mean angel, the twilight years.

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
seth. polycounter lvl 14
Hey good people of polycount...finally got to finishing my comicon character, I had to do a lot of learning to get him done, hence I might have missed the deadline slightly :)

anyway enough typing:

mean+presentation+one.jpg

mean+presentation+two.jpg

mean+presentation+three.jpg

mean+presentation+four.jpg

any crits/feedback etc much appriciated, even though i think this is done I expect that there is a lot more that I can learn from it

thanks for looking :)

*edit* forgot to mention that everything is rendered in the wonderful marmoset toolbag.

Replies

• Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    came out pretty nicely, except not a fan of the skin it's seems to be almost only 1 tone
  • burtonyang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good, but to me, it still looks like the character could barely hold his robotic arm despite all its extra help he's getting from his tools. And I agree on the skin too.
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    I agree with burton on the character weight, it seems like you would almost have to pose him leaning on that arm and that he would almost have to walk like a gorilla to get around since he is missing any semblance of a counter-balance on his left side. It looks really nice though overall, great job on the metal texture.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Your first picture is a horrible angle. Luckily I scrolled down to the next picture and actually got to see the model's beauty.

The arm looks pretty heavy though
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reminds me of the guy from Judge Dredd
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    2x2048!? You sure went all out with this one :D

Tbh I think you could push the specular on the metal a lot more especially considering you got a 2048map for the metal part as well. Other than that, good work man! It's nice to see this one finished ;)
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    hey everybody, I hope that I have taken everyones crits on board, skin and rigging a decent pose are the two area's that I probably still need to learn the most about, that and maybe lighting too. Anyway I have re-posed and rendered the beauty shot, I think that its an improvement but my eyes are blown on this piece, maybe I should come back to him in a week and pose then instead :) Next I will drop the map sizes and see how he looks.

once again thanks for taking the time to crit guys, I am very greatful.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's already 10 times better man, maybe a little wider stance with the legs if you have it rigged up already :) Just try it maybe, the left leg (from his point of view, the front one) should probably act more as support, other than that: Great effin work man! Proud of you dude.
  • Lynx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lynx polycounter lvl 12
    nick2730 wrote: »
    Reminds me of the guy from Judge Dredd

It IS the guy from Judge Dredd, Mean "Mean Machine" Angel:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_Machine_Angel

And I must say, a very nicely done take on him too! :)
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Agreed, definitely a lot better
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    chris: Thanks very much mister :) somehow I detached the rig though so tweaking the pose is a bit tricky without re-rigging him again ( that was the second one :D)

Lynx: thanks also, yup thats the character, I went for an aged version though as per the comicon rules that he was originally intended for.

DDuckworth: thanks man, I wasn't happy with the light though so I did one more shot.....and I think that for my sanity for now I have to call him done :D

sorry for spamming up the boards with the same bloody thing....this is rthe final one.

sorry again :)
  • acapulco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    No, you cant do that. That isnt final. Your groundplate is unlit, looks horrible and tears down your whole work. The one before looks way better. Just not that deep of shadows and you are good to go!
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    awww dont say that :D

thanks acapulco, you are completely right. Looks like i'm back into marmoset then :)
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And your lighting was better before man, it was nice with a warmer one, now it's white and boring ;P and it kills the nice detail on the headmetalplate thing! Back to work you lazy bum! xD
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    ok so the last shot was ball's.....i really cant see the wood for the trees at the moment, but i think that wasrming up the lights and dropping the dominant intensity might have done the trick.

without sounding too much like a broken record.............................pictures :)

wip11.jpg