Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Man, Dog, Guns, mostly likely a Girl and Life.

:) I need some crits, what do you lot think? Am working on some more stuff for my portfolio.

SA80

LATEST PROGRESS... i got lots of references now. Just a case of getting stuck into it. This is after a some more work yesterday.

SA80V9.jpg

My original WIPs:

SA80_HiPolyShots.jpg

SA80_HiPolyShots2.jpg

fa_ar_sa80_1.JPG

Replies

• nick2730
  • WillMac
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So.... These are WIPS, proper crit and tips appreciated.

Helghast_Shotgun.jpg

So i thought up a Helghast Breacher class, classes come with a deployable (a chose a war dog) and a gun. Thought i would pose them in UDK scene with some props i have already... breaching a room looking all Helghast. Sorry about the 2048 textures... i should aim for 1024?

Rendered in the marmoset toolbag.

Helghast_SheetOne.jpg

And his war dog, deployable perk...

dog.jpg

Based on Killzone Liberation Concept i found in google images(http://www.gamekyo.com/images_1/295b29c10268328e373747a745f5954020081006124204.jpg) ....

I think it is Xavier Marquis... one of my favourite concept artists.
  • seven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seven polycounter lvl 13
    none of your pics are showing up.
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's a dog penis.
  • A_GAME
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A_GAME polycounter lvl 11
    Great job on these! LOVE the dog penis!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    S80 - Rifle looks ok but there are quite a few innacuracies if you are working to that concept. Most notably the front moulded 2-piece section has integral holes on the lower section and the upper section is not curved inwards like that, it's rounded.
    The bullet loader pin? (what do you call it?) is a cylinder with stubbling, unlike the triangular wing shaped object you have now.

There's a few other things also, I suggest studying that reference more or finding something better.

Character looks great btw but his dog could do with some more sculpting work on the fur side.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Cool shit. My crit would be the proportions of the dog. The back paws of the dog is crazy big.

And yeah, i wouldn't go with a boner for the dog. Personal preference ofc, but you know :D Look at a dog penis, it's more skin on it, and it's much closer to the dogs belly/underside. I would know!
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ seven: cheers mate, I had no idea.
    @JGount: :D One day i make a dragon... and show you new things.
    @A-Game: Thanks! Character is at 60% to 70% done now, I will keep at them.

@GCMP: Ah, thank you very much for crits...
    - I am gonna make a reference sheet of what i used, as i did use deeper ref than the google... and a paintover of what errors i found, being really really harsh to myself!
    - the cocking pin? It is a circle stub.. and some references I have, the soldier has added a bigger grip to it. Yeah, perhaps better to just use the standard, if you just spotted that right out.
    - Okay, noted on the two piece... I will take this back to the workshop later today!

re: War Dog, is just a session to get a feel for dog anatomy as I really liked that concept for ages. From what i have played and read, on Planet Helghan the animals feed and have evolved in harsh landscapes, the dogs have no fur in the concept, is more leathery mutant skin i think. However there should be grissly bits of fur.. manky dog. That would work perhaps. They could also torture the dogs to make them more vicious...

@sltrOlsson: Good crit mate, my justifications for that are above. I can easily make them back to the more dog sized ones... yeah perhaps I don't want to stray too far from the concept! :D Is why i uploaded... am thinking pull it back to earth (or Vektra) like, a little more.

Thanks again guys... keep dropping thoughts if you have them, will be back soon with some wires for the character, see if i can improve that aspect before i finalise him.
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I need more polys in the helmet and to rig to UT3_male and check a lot, see if the loops are animator friendly.

wireswipfront.jpg

wireswipback.jpg

Cheers. Some mess at the boot back needs cleaning.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Great work, love the dog penis
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks torch!

SA80 is close, but not close enough ... so am having words with myself.

SA80testkeft.jpg
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    yikes, the dog..
    It's a cool concept for the dog, but it looks off balance on terms of the amount of stuff on it, maybe take a little of that stuff off from its front legs and put more weight on its back.
    I did a quick paint over:
    351ijqt.jpg

I think it should have nothing on its front legs, a dog wouldnt really be able to run at its full potential with all that crap tied to its legs.
    I raised the front legs a bit to match the length of the back ones and added the pack on top, now it feels a little better in terms of weight.
    less penisy also.

I see that your following the concept, but sometimes its better to take your own spin at it.
    Just my two cents :]
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Is that dog wearing a polar neck?
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :thumbup: Cheers for the paint job Cordell. I agree with your point.

So i did a quick sketch.. i will use a mix of body plates with the original concepts colours and fittings, straps.

dogsketch.jpg
  • dekorkh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dekorkh triangle
    Awesome work dude. I like the new sketch for the dog - the slimmer limbs contrast the body really well. +1 w/ Cordell Felix on the weight distribution too.

The killzone guy is a little busy though... the plating seems somewhat crude. The helmet is dope though!

Keep going! :D