Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cerulean Halls(UDK)

Replies

• CNecron518a
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Chris, your lighting isn't coming through because your textures are too saturated and dark.
    Check out this part of the UDK Documentation about light mass and effective diffuse maps for lighting. Lightmass - Diffuse Textures
    I think the problem with your maps might be that you're thinking a little too much PS2 gen graphics.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    When I saw "cerulean", I was expecting a very blue dominant scene. This is more earth tone than blue.
  • CNecron518a
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I'd say it's too green, with no reasonable explanation why there is so much green in there. The scene looks very flat and boring unless you wiggle around a little bit with the contrast & colors.

Made a quick "paintover", changing some of the colors and adding some more depth.
    25psdxy.jpg
  • Amadreaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with the crits so far, buddy. Seems like the overall green is killing it, but that's been said.

The main thing I see is a lack of material definition. Looking at the texture sheet, each individual material needs to come across as metal, concrete, copper, etc. Right now they could all be the same material. Much of that will also come out of the spec map, but it starts here.

Also, notice how in the concept, there are some darker tiles on the floor. Doing slight darkening of certain panels in concrete, tile, or any really repetitive or patterning area will add a lot of depth and interest. You actually are doing it on the wall section on the right side and it's cool. Needs more of that.

The window sections are obviously the same texture. Spend the budget, make a different one. That, or make one unbroken sheet for both and then do a couple 'broken' decals and put them over any window pane you like for more randomness and more memory efficiency if that's a concern for this project. That broken window texture is also pretty soft looking where it breaks. If it's broken glass, I'd expect spider web cracks, really sharp details etc.

Anything else I'd say would be polish details... things like scattered debris, crack decals on walls, stains, etc etc
  • CNecron518a