Home Unreal Engine

Weird LOD problem(3ds Max & .fbx)

I'm having some weird issue with exporting my 3ds max LOD setup to UDK.
I have the asset set up with the LOD utility in 3ds max and everything works smoothly until I export it as .fbx and then import it in UDK. I can get the object with it LODs but the problem comes when I start to realize that the LOD order seems to be randomly generated by Satan.

Most of the times I've tried to export UDK has had the LOD order in reverse, sometimes LOD2 is at the bottom and LOD1 is at top etc.

1883d1d13f095ead4b712a89604fce0e.gif

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    NoctyQ wrote: »
    I'm having some weird issue with exporting my 3ds max LOD setup to UDK.
    I have the asset set up with the LOD utility in 3ds max and everything works smoothly until I export it as .fbx and then import it in UDK. I can get the object with it LODs but the problem comes when I start to realize that the LOD order seems to be randomly generated by Satan.

Most of the times I've tried to export UDK has had the LOD order in reverse, sometimes LOD2 is at the bottom and LOD1 is at top etc.

What kind of mesh is this? a skeletal mesh? or a static mesh?

You could try importing the LODs as individual files. You don't have to import them as one FBX file.
  • NoctyQ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a static mesh. I know that I can export everything individually and assign them as lods in the engine but it would save a lot of time and also make me happy if I got it working properly. I'm also baffled that the dev hasn't made it available to change the lod order of the assets. That could surely not be that much of a hassle.
  • speuzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    speuzer polycounter lvl 9
    Just a hunch, but the order in which the objects are stored in the group might have something to do with it. Max does some weird things internally with the groups.

Try remaking the group, select the highest lod, then the middle, then the last, then group them.