Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

StuffIt: a iOS game with UDK's mobile engine

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
Hi Everyone.
Forecourse (A newly developed indie game company by Michael Allar) and I have been working with UDK's mobile engine to release a iOS game app; StuffIt.
286sv8i.jpg
29x9ahx.jpg
StuffIt is a third-person horde wave shooter aimed for mobile devices. You play as a kid who used to abuse stuffed animals by ripping them apart and doing unmentionable things to their stuffings and now the stuffed animals have kidnapped you for revenge. As we all know, the only way for stuffed animals to get revenge is through gladiatorial arena wave based combat. There are two arenas to choose from, one being nice and happy Candytown and the other being grim and hellish Deathville. To fight off these hordes and boss creatures of stuffed animals, there are five weapons at your disposal including the Marshmallow Machine Gun, Syrup Shotgun and more!

We've been in progress since Epic released their engine with iOS support so we took advantage of it and tried to be one of the first few indie groups without any help from epic (besides their engine) to make a UDK game app.

We recently had a breakthrough when UDK's January build had PhysX support and we decided to have rag dolls in our game. Doing so, we had tons of fun throwing the rag dolls of our stuffed animals around...so we made a free app (StuffIt: Playroom ) which is basically the prequel to StuffIt.
24viat2.jpg

I wanted to share this with the polycount community because I know you guys just love UDK!

To learn more about our game, see videos, our ideas, some screen shots and even the weapons; check us out on http://www.indiedb.com/games/stuffit, moddb
or http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stuffit-playroom/id417131729?mt=8

If you would like to play our free app, go to the app store!
We have a pc version as well: http://www.indiedb.com/games/stuffit/downloads/stuffit-playroom

Be on the lookout for StuffIt, it will be released as soon as its done!

Feedback would be awesome, We'd love to hear what you guys think of our game!

Replies

• Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was messing around a bit and made these haha!

29dct91.jpg
    25jh08z.jpg
    210hdzk.jpg
    2ep6i2r.jpg
    11t38yt.jpg
    111sa6u.jpg
  • Heartless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heartless polycounter lvl 8
    Cool stuff. I used UDK for a little while maybe a year ago. How are you liking it's iOS support? Any pros/cons/hiccups you've incountered?
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!

It was difficult working with the mobile engine at first, it took me a couple days to get used to it. Its still basically the same engine, just doing the mobile materials are different.

One thing you really have to pay attention to is the frame rate (of course) but for iPhone/iPad/iPod you seriously need to be careful how much you add in.

You cant world build like you would in the regular udk engine, you have to attach alot of elements together instead of using instances.

The pro's and con's really depend on what kind of game your making,
    for our game, pro's are we don't have to do any normals because the camera is too far away to notice any of that detail. if it were a first person game..we might need to make hp's.
    cons are choosing how to do your materials..certain things can kill your frame rate...you cannot do opacity..that will 100% lag the device!

And i've mostly had problems with just getting the right groups of props in, you cant have too many or the device will call upon all of them, and their material...it just gets super laggy.

so alot of trail and error for sure! haha
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I'm a little surprised to hear you say opacity is a problem, given how extensively its used in Infinity Blade and Epic Citadel...
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    8bit or 1bit opacity??? I would imagine 1bit would be fine?
  • Allar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its not so much with standard opacity, but when you have transparent materials being drawn on top of other transparent materials. The overdraw is pretty killer.
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can still use it, it just kills the frame rate when it takes up a majority of the screen. They use the opacity only for a few things, like to fake a reflection.

a team mate tested it, and when theres alot of it, the frame rate drops to red.
  • Darkmaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome job guys! Keep up the good work!
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Looks amazing, I'm about to play it. Me and a small team of other students are looking into developing an iOS game so this is really interesting to me :P
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    whats up with no one sharing the love with the android community, everyone knows iphones are for losers anyway :P
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Mike Yevin wrote: »
    whats up with no one sharing the love with the android community, everyone knows iphones are for losers anyway :P

No UDK for Android yet :P

@OP, What kind of polycount limitations did you stick to on your characters?

Trying to figure out the polycount budget for our game now..
  • Insipidus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty cool stuff! Tried it on my iPod and it is quite interesting. How'd you guys code the controls so that you could grab each of those stuffed animals? Been struggling with that portion of my UDK Mobile coding as of late.

Good job!