Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

'The Fixer' Character Model

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
So, normally i just stick to the mobile gaming thread, but i thought i had better dust off my sculpting skills and add to my portfolio before i go to any university interviews!

First things first, my terrible concept sketch, hats off to you if you can make out what its meant to be. For the majority of you who cant here is a brief description- The fixer, small dwarf/midget type character with a robotic arm and peg leg, with a "Swiss army hand" which has various tool attachments on each finger. He randomly wanders around gathering spare parts and repairing things....

thefixerconcept.jpg

If my lack of drawing skills havn't made you hastely click your back button, here are some pics of the outfit block out, current sculpting progress and some colour mockups!
fixer2.jpg

fixer1.jpg

fixer3.jpg

And i started adding some welding detail to the leg...
leg.jpg

Still need to think of a nice concept for the robotic arm, so that'll come later.

thats all for now, you may now crit to your hearts content!

Replies

• JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey

I'd definantly look at some more face and clothes reference. Especielly the mouth/nose area shows off the typical cg character mistakes.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    JGcount wrote: »
    Hey

I'd definantly look at some more face and clothes reference. Especielly the mouth/nose area shows off the typical cg character mistakes.
    For sure.

Really, the 3d isn't bad, but a lot of the mistakes I see are pretty common with people who can't draw very well.

Your ability to work in 3d seems alright, but your 2d is sub-par, I'd work on learning some of the foundational basics of art, form, light, color, anatomy, etc... your 3d stuff will improve a lot.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, cheers for the replies,

Searching about for "Fat nose" references now, hopefully can find a few decent ones, also got a few lip refs to go by too, know any good websites for getting reference material? save me sifting through the crap on google!
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little shift around with the brow/nose, hopefully a step in the right direction?

nose-correction-1.gif
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    It's form that's off, not details. The eyes especially, the eyeballs look like they are suspended in mid air inside his sockets with loose skin all around whereas in reality the eye lids wrap close to and frame the eyes. The mouth is also off on a fundamental level. It's flat on the face of your model but if you look up at your face in a mirror you'll see there is actually quite a strong curve there. Imagine making a skull with a set of teeth, now imagine lips resting and curving over them, that's the look you want to aim for.

The nose could be called stylistic, but the mouth needs work and the eyes are definitely scary.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers TDA,
    Its definately more of a stylised approach that im aiming for, especially with things like the ears and nose. Looking at the eyes now, i completely agree, his eyeball would just roll out of those baggy old things! With the mouth, i guess i've shot myself in the foot there, normally when i do faces the lips seem to have too much of a curve and it looks like the character is pouting, so this time i tried to keep it flat but too flat apparently!

I'll have a good mix 'n' match tommorow morning and try to get things to how they should be.

As for the cloth, it looks a little chunky to me, but i wanted it to look rather thick and heavy, not a light fabric, what would be the best way to go about doing this? just make the folds a little more convincing?

Thanks again.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so i have fiddled around with the eye sockets and nose, im pretty happy with the result so far, big improvement on the first attempt, so thanks alot for the crits there, also roughed in some goggles, lemme know what you think!

fixerfaceupdate.png