Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

epic shave

iflingpoo
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
iflingpoo polycounter lvl 18
Yes, I modeled a SHAVER!!!

It's my first ever high poly bake object. Did the highpoly in Max and brought to zbrush for a couple small details. Now that I think of it I could have just Photoshopped them in the normal map, ohwell it was a good learning experience!

Had alot of trouble with the baked version of the normal map to be all lumpy, so I had to go in and paint over the hard surfaced parts with blue. Is this normal? Or is my high rez just poorly modeled? :P

Shaver_Shot01_Full.jpg
Shaver_Shot02_Full.jpg
Shaver_TextureSheet_Full.jpg

Replies

• Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I think it's pretty good for your first. Perhaps if you ever go back to it or make something similar, add a few more poly's to the bottom as it's a bit thinner and less rounder than the picture I googled.

edit: I just want to say that this would be acceptable if it was say a prop for some third person game where detail isn't entirely needed cause you never look at it in first person. If chucked in with other props it'd look nice. Actually reminds me of Silent Hill SM for some reason.
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    congratz !! this looks great for a first !!!! trust me !!!

ok your edge loops need work on the high poly. but you did great !!

you need to model your low poly to match the silhoutte (spelling arghh!) of your high poly better. but you did great for a first !!!

my 2cents
  • dogzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogzer polycounter lvl 8
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks pretty good for a first! Nice work.

I think on your next high poly you should try to exaggerate the details like little bevels and slope some edges so they're caught easier by the ray projection. You have a lot of tiny micro details that aren't really showing up on the normal map and the diffuse is having to define those elements. You can always count on some loss of fidelity when you bake.

You also want to think about what will happen if my textures get down res'ed or mip mapped which can happen in a heart beat project wide as they try to optimize a game to load faster, or cram it all onto one disc. If you build your high poly in such a way that it can stand up to such things you'll encounter a lot less rework later. Sometimes its not always you doing the rework but co-workers and the last thing you want to dump on them is fixing your high poly micro details.

Live and learn, it's pretty good, just keep that stuff in mind for next time!