Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fairy FD 2 Transformer W.I.P

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
barnesy polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys , heres a transformer that I have been working on lately. I have just managed to finish the high poly model and am about to start making the low poly model for the bake.

transformer3.jpg

legs-1.jpg

transforming.jpg

The main challenge with the model was to take a fuselage and wings , and add extra elements to create a transformer with semi-correct anatomy.

The aim of this project is to have the model transform in the UDK.

Replies

• barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warped2.png

For%20some%20reason%20I%20am%20getting%20strange%20warping%20on%20the%20mesh.%20I%20have%20not%20made%20%20any%20changes%20to%20the%20links%20in%20both%20models%20yet%20the%20arms%20have%20warped.%20The%20leg%20also%20warps%20when%20I%20clone%20it%20:s%20%20%20All%20of%20the%20XForms%20were%20reset%20before%20I%20began%20creating%20the%20high%20poly%20and%20are%20still%20100%20on%20each%20axis.%20%20Any%20suggestions%20as%20to%20what%20this%20could%20be%20would%20be%20greatly%20appreciated.%20%20%20I%20think%20it%20might%20be%20something%20to%20do%20with%20the%20fact%20that%20the%20objects%20are%20key%20framed%20:s%20,%20time%20to%20get%20experimenting%21

For some reason I am getting strange warping on the mesh. I have not made any changes to the links in both models yet the arms have warped. The leg also warps when I clone it :s

All of the XForms were reset before I began creating the high poly and are still 100 on each axis.

Any suggestions as to what this could be would be greatly appreciated.

I think it might be something to do with the fact that the objects are key framed :s , time to get experimenting!
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I deleted all of the key frames an the leg mirrored correctly which is great. It just means that I will have to optimize the arm again and keyframe the right leg and arm.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At the moment I am playing around with the silhouette and I would really appreciate getting some of your opinions as to which one looks the best :)

jet22.png

jet1.png

jet33.png

Thanks
  • Draygo00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Draygo00 polycounter lvl 9
    Nice going so far, main crit I have is it looks a little akward in robot form (the wings and hip joints really stand out to me) try doing a google search for "Masterpeice Starscream/skywarp/thundercracker" these are the ultimate versions of the old classic planes.

Good Luck.
  • SnaFuBAR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check out the way the cockpit/nose breaks up on starscream from the transformers movies. If that doesn't help you create something better, perhaps split the nose down the middle and have the sections slide up. At the moment he has some long dongle-cone thing going on and can't even crouch, so that's a design problem you definitely need to solve.

The way his wing section and such is broken up also helps to produce a very robust looking design language. Maybe you could use the wings to produce some design language where they create a taper from shoulders to hips in silhouette. The face could use some work, in my opinion. It almost looks ape-like or even pouty-faced. Open up those fuselage shapes, show us some mechanics of the thing!

ps it's FAIREY FD2 with an e. A Fairy is, well, not a jet.
  • Melonman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im feeling the second or last silhouettes mainly cuz there leaning more to the unique but
    thats just my personal tastes.

Keep it up dude.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits guys.

I have managed re think some of the design problems such as the really long cockpit beak-like chin and the imbalanced silhouette

headfix.png

render1-1.png

render4.png

These next 2 images show areas that I am still concerned with. The main problem is that unlike the F14 Starscream jet this Fairey jet doesn't really have anyhing to it ,is built up from practically cylinders.

silhouette2.png

silhouette.png

I am planning duplicating some of those air vents throuout the model to break up the flat areas of the silhouette.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am deviding the UVs into two sheets at the moment, one for the vehicle and another for the transformer. Its going to be a long texturing phase...

unwrap-1.png
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After shouting at my computer countless times , I have managed to get it in UDK.

ingame1.png

ingame2-1.png

I still need to paint out some of the errors that are on the mechanical neck and foot joints as they have not came out well.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For some reason now when I rotate any of the objects they will scale up and stretch. Also the pivot point is not aligned to the world :S

strangepivotpoint.png

rotate.png

There are no key frames present. I reset the xforms before I animated the mesh in the first place :s

This problem started when I used to transform the object and I thought it was to do with inheriting scale/animation form other parts of the model, but after I attatched the model into 1 object for the normal map bake and detatched/re linked each of the elements, the problem is back.

The xforms are fine and when i try to re allign the pivot point to the world it morphs the mesh :s

Also all of the pivot points are set to the root piece for some reason. They rotate fine around the root bone but I need to move the pivot point to the actual bone itself so that i can make it transform!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    udkrender1.png

planeudk.png

udkrender1.png

I finally have it in game and baked. Saying that I still have allot of smoothing errors that I will have to correct
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After looking at the normal maps I have noticed that I have got some major errors. They are mainly coming from the dam rivet-like indentation things (technical term) I think that a re bake is in the cards , but I will also have to look at maybe creating the rivets in PS then duplicating them. THis should work because there is little distorition and the surfaces are mainly flat. I am open for other suggestions though
    normalmapbake.png

normalmapissues2.png

normalmapp.png
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It has been a while since my last post!
    I managed to finish off the normal map bakes and start texturing today. Heres what I have come up with so far.

texturework1.png

texturework2.png

I am not sure if I should keep the hydraulic neck pieces yet :s
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    What are you using to create your normal maps?

It looks like your cage isn't far out enough to read the information.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am using a crappy height2occlusion overlay (just for reference). They arent exactly that accurate and it might have created the look of busted normals.

Also the normals above are the old ones I have completly re baked them , there was allot of problems with the smoothing groups and positioning of the objects. It was really rushed as it is a University project so we dont really get allot of time and theres lots of deadlines so it has been abit rushed :\

I used 3ds max's render to texture to bake the normals then I re visited them in PS with the XNormal filter. I used XNormal for the head and some other parts that I sculpted in ZBrush.

texturework3.png
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Hmm. Mind showing us your current texture sheets? And out of curiosity what did you use Zbrush for?
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texture is too saturated fosho
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    correctsizetransformerdiffusemapv999.jpg

correctsizetransformerdiffusemapv7.jpg

thdtrh.jpg

fese.jpg

I used ZBrush for the head , the wheels , a curcuitboars/cable and a small decorative piece. Still need to add some nice contasting emissive glows to them.

@Uncle - I agree. I am trying to make it look really weathered as its an old jet. Originally it was way more saturated , but I will take some more of that color out.

I cant wait to start adding grunge and reflections to this model , I think it will really bring it all together.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really small update here but I have managed to sort out the reflection map and desaturate the textures. I still need to sort out the base colors then add some grunge etc.

I am happy with the cockpit. It is really redlecitve and you get a nice effect and some sweet glancing angles. Not too sure about the realism though lol

screeny.png
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres another update with some grunge and scratches at last!
    I have a small problem at the moment though where the air intake on the right hand sides faces are flipped. This only happens on the animated model and not on the unanimated version :S

error1.png

render1-3.png

render2-3.png

render3-3.png
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Would be cool with a transformation video ?
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have got one , I just need to set it up with the kismet. I will get that uploaded later hopefully :)
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jet.png

Here is an animation showing the vehicle transforming. I have practically finished the texture for the transformer now, but I need to finish off the spec before I apply them so bare with me. It's safe to say animation isnt my strongest area! I still have much work to do to this , I want to have it flying with some cool flames coming out which will then be used to control the landing on the feet.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJO2LpcRhEk[/ame]

• Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    6dd6fcf10f113cd7ef4f6215bb783.jpg
    All your images are down... :\
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know :\ apparently I have exceeded my bandwidth so I shall have to make anther account...or upload everything as a video lol
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    It's really a pity the shoulders just fly around for a bit, really breaks the illusion of it being a functional mechanism.
  • ShootandRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you could also try imageshack, its what I use.
    You could bulk upload ur photos, create an album and just give us the link. From what I saw in the youtube video this looks really cool!

link here:
    http://imageshack.us/
    How much bandwidth can I use?

ImageShack allows unlimited bandwidth for images, videos, and slideshows when viewed from our landing page, as well as unlimited bandwidth for registered users.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jet2.png

managed to get a new account working. Here is the finished vehicle texture.

I am trying to come up with a name for the transformer at the moment.

Light speed is at the top of the list :)
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Snader - I must admit it was hard for me to detatch the shoulder pieces and move away from the realic style that I was aiming for. The main reason why I done it was because it was suggested by some peers. Since you said that they look out of place I have been having second thoughts about them.

I am going to be refining that animation and adding a flying part to it tomorrow so be sure to check back and tell me what you think :)

Thanks
  • elitewolverine
    awesome bot, waiting for the animation :), as for names i like these

Blue Devil
    Rainmaker
    Widowmaker
    Angel Death
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks elitewolverine!

I decided to rethink the way that it animated and I am very pleased with the result. I have really tried to focus on the weight of the character by adjusting the suspension. Theres loads of stuff going on such as bolts tightening etc and I will make sure to show that off when I start adding some cameras to the scene :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHVkPJV9ZDo[/ame]

I apologize for the poor sound/vid, I will get better ones up for the final renders
  • StuButler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StuButler polycounter lvl 9
    You might want to take a look at the weight and pose of the character as he lands, he lands gently and almost completly in an idle pose, it lacks the dramatic entrance. Look at a more heroic stance:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddpi-wYDV9A[/ame]

The speed at which he spins could also be faster for more of an exciting effect.
  • martynball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martynball polycounter lvl 10
    Like I said at Uni, looks awesome :P I so want to make a transformer too lol. I say that but I bet I would regret it lol
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.

I agree that the animation looks really static at the end of the landing at the moment. I would love to spend more time on it but I have got lots of other work to be doing. I will deffinatly re work this after hand in :)

As this is a light nimble scout class robot , I wanted to take advantage of the jets design and use the thrusters to control the landing. Thats why it's pretty smooth and impact free.

Im new to UDK at the moment so as soon as I figure out how to set up cameras and post processing I will get a nice render up with the particles /electric sparks and heat haze.

p.s I am glad no one has picked up on how poor the environment is lol
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good! Yet I think you went over the top with rust and scratches a bit.

As for the animation the timing needs to be improved, the landing part kills it for me... Check Starscream in Transformers movie for reference!
  • martynball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martynball polycounter lvl 10
    barnesy wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

I agree that the animation looks really static at the end of the landing at the moment. I would love to spend more time on it but I have got lots of other work to be doing. I will deffinatly re work this after hand in :)

As this is a light nimble scout class robot , I wanted to take advantage of the jets design and use the thrusters to control the landing. Thats why it's pretty smooth and impact free.

Im new to UDK at the moment so as soon as I figure out how to set up cameras and post processing I will get a nice render up with the particles /electric sparks and heat haze.

p.s I am glad no one has picked up on how poor the environment is lol

I'm pretty good at Particle Effects and Cameras ect so if you need a hand I could help you with that. And you should jump in the mo-cap studio and get afew movments from there.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have managed to remake the animation and soundtrack. I used a miture of samples from some free websites, I also managed to incroporate some of the sci-fi sounds from the pod racers which link in really well with the transformer theme :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOVcoQFuiQo[/ame]

Sadly it's for a uni module so it's been very rushed and I have not been able to spent as much time as I would have liked on certain areas. If this wasnt the case I would spend far more time adjusting and twaking the sounds and the animation but there arent really many marks awarded for the animation in relation to modelleing and texturing.

I have managed to set up a jet engine , but I need to change the color and setup a matinee/toggle to turn it on and off.

I need to setup the cameras and lighting aswell as it is currently built up of 5 directional lights which is quite bare.

One last thing , I am thinking of setting up smoke or sparks for when the robot slides but I am not really sure how to go about it, as theres not really much time left :\