Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

What you think of my drawing skill?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hi this is more or less how I draw , I wanted to know what do you think of this , and any sugestions on what to improve , this is pencil and paper only , I wanted now to try to pass to tabled drawing but what I tired just sucked and I can't find a decent tutorial on drawing things like what I draw here any help and comment appreciated :) Thanks a lot ....

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/4963/guerriero.jpg

Updated added this ...

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/9601/vaevictis.jpg

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/6178/discoveryk.jpg

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/291/venationes.jpg

Replies

• glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Overall i like the feeling. Though some areas to me look flat. Like his knees and those thigh pads. Then the shield looks flat behind him. I think you have the right start. Just keep working on giving your art more volume.
  • lampekap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i really like the shading.
  • Karol F
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are a few anatomical problems but shading is really good
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Overall is pretty good, the only problem I see is the angle of the shield.
    The shield looks flat and the angle of the hand isn't the same as the shield. I think it's about the perspective. :) For drawing tutorials, I highly recommend to check out Feng Zhu's Youtube channel, I've learn a lot from him!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FZDSCHOOL
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's quite flat, the shading doesn't lend much of a sense of shape to things. Really I mean, you need to do the same thing every other artist does, draw from life, and apply the knowledge learned to everything else you draw. You should find an illustration-focused forum and post your work up for critique there constantly, best way to get good fast.
  • bigphun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the pose is awkward and the sword doesn't continue correctly.

That said your style is fantastic, what resonates with me is that it really looks like a medieval woodcut. The high level of detail in the background flattens the image, but this also evokes a comparison to wood cuts.

What I might try is to experiment with hatching instead of shading with the side of your pencil, this would really make your drawings pop.
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    in all honesty? big anatomy problems and the lighting is really flat. It seems you use your dark tones mainly to fill in the crevices and you dont really define a light source.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I think you spend too much time rendering textures and materials, and not enough on proportions and volumes.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Here is another Drawing I did ... Same Questions? :) ....

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/9601/vaevictis.jpg

updated main post ...
  • bigphun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another very nice drawing. The rider's upper body is far too large and i think his leg would turn out more.

The clouds, while great, do not transition into the grass well or around the horse. The composition is also much better.

Have you considered illustrating in ink? a painted wash would really compliment your style.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Composition-wise, you have a nice thing going, sort of a neo-classical vibe.

You just need to work on your forms and lighting more. I would also be mindful of the pressure your applying to your marks. In the first picture the mountains have the same line density and darkness as the fella in the foreground which is mucking up the depth of the scene.

I would say you're definitely on the right track, just need to tighten some stuff up.

I have a quick question - Are you using a single pencil to do all of this, or do you have a set of varying grades?
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Thankyou , fopr the technique I used I guess is very weird , I drawed all with a black pen then added some shading with a darker soft black pencill ....
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    proportions, form, and scale all need some work. Try some more gestural and loose stuff.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Your drawings are pretty good. I remember I used to try drawing whole scenes like these and it wore me out!

Aside from a few technical issues, I think you might benefit from taking a step back and analyzing your drawing process. It's easy to get lost in your drawings because it's all so literal. Detail is great, but sometimes in order to create a more pleasing image you have to be willing to omit unimportant details so that the important ones can shine. Someone should be able to glance at your image and immediately understand what's going on and where they should be looking.

I think painting might help you develop this sense. The power of simply suggesting details and not getting lost trying to draw every blade of grass can do wonders for your overall approach to art. You can see what I mean by examining great paintings up close. You might be surprised how little explicit detail there really is, but it all works at a distance, and is better for it.

If you want to stick with pencils maybe you can try exploring more simplistic line drawings. There's a reason why stylized art works so effectively, and trying to work that thinking process into your drawings can help you decide what's really important for the image.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Thankyou ... Here is still another Drawing I did time long time ago ... Same questions ? :) ...

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/6178/discoveryk.jpg

On this I know faces do Suck ...
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    pretty good i think your poses could be a bit more iconic/heroic and have more .. you know SWOOSH ! but shading and detail is nice ! keep going
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    I noticed that the male character has some improper foreshortening in his right arm and both characters tend to just blend into the scene rather than stand out. Try outlining your characters with thicker lines to emphasis their presence in the scene.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    all the leaf and grass detail is too noisy and has too much contrast.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    you've got that classic thing going on of shading light anything which sticks out towards the viewer, instead of anything which is facing towards the light source- the tree bark is a good example of this- makes stuff look flat

I love the detail and design of the scene though
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Hehe thanks for all comments guys , those drawins are from 2000 and I didn't pick up a pencile ever befoure doing those neither I did it after , now I was feeling to draw something again but eventually with the tablet .... so I was considering reanalizing my old draws styles and improve what I missed or I am not able to do ... anyway here is one another of the drawins I did .... Inspired by the Gladiator movie lol ....

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/291/venationes.jpg
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the compositions in your pieces, but like its been said, your proportions and shading from a light source could use some work. Keep it up.
  • homes44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    as far as trying to improve your drawing skill it seems like it'd be a good idea to not focus so much on shading and detailing your drawings right now. Quantity of drawings will be more important. draw fast and draw a lot. practice gestures and try different styles. your very base drawing needs to be solid before you move into shading and detailing. you can keep rendering them out but you won't be improving on fundamental skills like design, posing and and shape. looks like you're moving in a nice direction though!
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    not bad, your good at shading but you still need work with proportion and anatomy.
  • NoctyQ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha I'm stoked to see some new stuff! ~10 years is a long time!
    A part of me hope that you will deliver something equal to a shaky stick figure.. :\
    But you seem to have a lot of skills and perceptions that is hard to shake off, especially since you frequent a art forum :thumbup:. Want moooaar!
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    It looks like you skipped a few basic steps and jumped straight to trying to learn how to render, without understanding the underlying theory. Pick up a couple of basic books, and start from the beginning. Loomis, hogarth and bridgman are all great authors. And cheap on amazon! Form, anatomy, perspective and so on and so forth. Foundation is key, and contrary to what the mythbusters will have you believe, you can't polish a turd. (If you're unfamiliar with the saying, it means no amount of house paint will fix the fact that the walls of the house are crooked.)

//edit: Amazon, not ebay. (Although you could probably find them on ebay as well..)
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    NAIMA wrote: »
    Hi this is more or less how I draw , I wanted to know what do you think of this , and any sugestions on what to improve , this is pencil and paper only , I wanted now to try to pass to tabled drawing but what I tired just sucked and I can't find a decent tutorial on drawing things like what I draw here any help and comment appreciated :) Thanks a lot ....

I didnt see the tablet part; the transfer from paper to digital is a hard and frustrating one. like anything else it takes time. spend several days drawing on the tablet. it took me days in hours to get used to it but now I freaking love digital, so much more flexable, faster, cleaner the onely downside is you have no "tangible" work, but then again you can print it out so...

i dont think there are tutorials on paper to tablet...work work work.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I think you need to try doing some new stuff and working on the issues people have brought up, instead of posting old stuff with the same issues ;)
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Yeh enough with the old drawings , when I get a bit of free time I will start to draw something new making more attention to pose , proportions and anatomy , thanks for all the great sugestions and response .... as for rendering out I do not understand what it means ... neither I did understand the comment of NoctyQ but those drawings are 10 yrs old , made with a pen and then shaded with a pencil then scanned :) ...

I ll post soemething new next time as I get to make something :) ....