Home Technical Talk

Training DVDs

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
HI I wanted to buy some comercial training dvd courses but I don't know wich ones, I have tried some in the past and I wasn't really satisfied especially by the non in deep content explanation of tools and so on...

I won't name the things I have tried to not make bad publicity but I wanted to Ask you if you have tried any of those dvds like Gnomon , Eat 3d etc , how you found them and if you would suggest them to learn ....

The fields I am interested in are :

Games related all

Environment , assets, characters , texturing and one about zbrush 4 learning from scratch :) .... I hope to be no flamed for my generic questions heheh ... I am noob I know ...

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What apps are you looking to work with? Gnoman tends to push Maya pretty heavy while others might favor another one.

We've purchased a few of the Eat3D DVD's for work and they've been great. The old Damaged Pillar really didn't break any new ground for me personally but it would be extremely helpful for someone just starting out. The newer fountain tutorials that covers pretty much the same aspect but with zbrush (and maybe mudbox also? I forget).

We've also picked up a few Gnomon DVD's and they've been helpful to people and in general they're regarded pretty highly, but can tend to venture into VFX and not really get to specific for games. Which as the line blurs more and more it doesn't matter too much.

3D Motive has some good 3dsmax/UDK tutorials.
    http://www.3dmotive.com/index.php?a=maxAnchor#videoGrid
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I use mainly 3dsmax , photoshop , and I have test version of zbrush and thinking to buy zb4 but I can't use it , so I am totally noob with it ... I was thinking that some maya tutorials could be adapted to 3dsmax too? Or I am wrong? so in case could I get a maya tut and use with max?

so you sugest the fountains tuts by eat 3d ? They can go also for a newbie? it states also mudbox and zbrush both of them .... or should I start with old damaged pillar?
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would highly recommend the old damaged pillar DVD for a beginner. Any of Eat3D and 3D Motive's videos are great.
  • tekmatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tekmatic polycounter lvl 11
    Although you can't buy DVDs from Digital Tutors (someone can correct me if I am wrong), I recommend them very much along with the other 2 that were mentioned (Eat3d and 3d motive)
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am really enjoying the Digital Tutors ones at the moment - I learnt quite a bit from one of the automotive modeling ones.
    Had a look at the Eat 3d ones as well which seem pretty good :D
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    +1 for Digital Tutors and Eat3D.

Digital Tutors will single handedly get you up to a very competent level with Maya or Max and their tutorial series are not only enjoyable (since you work on a project with a nice finished result, model etc) but extremely user friendly. The instructors are awesome and basically hold your hand through the entire process. Which for a beginner is important, none of this 2x speed or skipping bits (which can be great if you already know what you're doing).

The best thing about DT is that you can get a subscription and access their entire library, so you don't have to choose one DVD. They cover almost every CG related app imaginable and from beginner through to some fairly advanced stuff. There's also some game related kits too, the new one with the biker character looks pretty cool, going through base mesh creation > ZBrush > low poly / baking.

With regards to 'downloading' the DVD's, you used to be able to, but now they've moved to their streaming system, I think you get like credits or something with each subscription which you can then use to download some of the vids. IIRC it works out to something like one full training series per month subscribed.

As suggested above, the Eat3D Old Damaged Pillar and Next Gen Texturing Techniques really are the staple introductions to the current gen workflow.

www.digitaltutors.com

www.eat3d.com

I'd avoid Gnomon for now unless you're already quite well versed in the technical aspect of the subject in question. I love Gnomon DVD's for the fact they allow an insight into a professionals workflow, and techniques, but as instructional DVD's or 'tutorials' I don't think they're as friendly as those I mentioned. Then again, I don't think they're really designed to be step by step guides.
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I checked DT yesterday, and for the subscription you get 100 'free' credits - and each dvd comes in at 1 credit.
    So, unless I am reading it wrong, that would be quite a few downloads of the dvds you'd require.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I checked DT yesterday, and for the subscription you get 100 'free' credits - and each dvd comes in at 1 credit.
    So, unless I am reading it wrong, that would be quite a few downloads of the dvds you'd require.

I think it's 1 credit per 'video' not 'DVD', so while not quite as good, it should still get you at least one DVD, or more depending on the length. Most kits have like 30 or so videos I think.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Nice I didn't knew this DT site I take a look , if you know others let me know please :) ...
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah! Yes, twentytwo, that does actually sound more like it. I guess I was fantasing a bit!!