Home Technical Talk

Name of Ring/Loop Spinners (3ds Max)?

What are the names of the spinner tools next to Ring/Loop in Edit Poly - Edge - Selection? They seem to be called Ring Shift/Loop Shift in Max Help, but I can't find them anywhere in the Customise UI tools.

RingLoopSpinners.jpg

Replies

• r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    In max script the are

setLoopShift
    setRingShift

if you press the button it will appear in the listener

for Rings

$.setRingShift -1 true false

or

$.setRingShift +1 true false

if you drag any of these commands onto the main toolbar it will create a new button and an entry under 'drag and drop' in the customise UI menu.

the macros are not named clearly but you can right click them and view the source.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Rob,

That's a useful trick to find out the name of the tools. When I open the MAXScript Listener, I get:

$.setRingShift (and then a number depending on the edge loop and true/false). How would this be turned into an up/down spinner, as it varies?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what exactly do you want to do? If its bind them to hotkeys or create a custom UI buttons for them then look to my last post (i ninja edited it :))

executing the commands with -1 or +1 one will move it 1 loop or ring. increasing that number just makes the jump bigger.

In Script
    Off the top of my head I'd use the spinners 'changed' event handler. store a global of the last spinner value and compare it. if its less then do a minus shift. if its greater then do a positive shift.

so..
    lastVal = 0

rollout test "test"
    (
    spinner test_loop "TEST" range:[-1000,1000,0] type:#integer fieldwidth:0

on test_loop changed arg inSpin do
    (
    if inSpin then
    (
    if arg > lastVal then
    (
    $.setLoopShift 1 true false
    lastVal = test_loop.value
    )
    else
    (
    $.setLoopShift -1 true false
    lastVal = test_loop.value
    )
    )
    )
    )
    createDialog test
    )
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, thanks for that Ninja. I'll give it a go in the morning.

I'm re-arranging my ribbon + trying to put those loop and ring tools in there.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :) im slowly putting all the ribbon functions I use into a Quad. the ribbon must have a memory leak. after a few hours my comp grinds to a halt if the ribbons open :(
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't tell me that. I've just spent hours sorting the ribbon out :\.