Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Darth Vader low-poly Character

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Joker_47 polycounter lvl 6
here is my workflow on making Darth Vader. It's not finish yet but im already want to show you what i make
17221418.jpg
18416472.jpg

71732118.jpg

wait for your comment's

P.S. i have not tried to make good render , just showing what i create

Replies

• mole420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mole420 polycounter lvl 10
    Looks good so far, needs to be rendered on a lighter background as its very dark, also need a shot of the wire frame to see the topology
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah black character on a black background is almost never a good idea, throw up some wires if you want any crits from me.
  • Joker_47
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright. I have not found where changes background color in render so i make screenshots of simple perspective view
    showcase2.jpg

here is another one
    showcase.jpg
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, much better background, A lot easier to see, you say it's a low poly character but it could use a ton of optimization, what polycount were going going for and what are you currently at?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow... if ever there was the exact opposite of a polar bear in a snow storm, those first few shots are it, ha. Thanks for doing some new shots they help quite a bit.

Crits:
    It might help if you didn't use pure black for the diffuse, but maybe a slightly lighter shade or add some slight color variation to it, like a deep dark purple. That way your shadows and details aren't drowning in darkness leaving all the definition up to the spec map.

If you have a pure black diffuse, you really don't have much of a chance of seeing the details. Also keep in mind that his suit is made of of different materials that have different surface properties, different wear and fading and different coloring techniques, so the color might not all be black 0,0,0.

This arms look like they clip through his cape? Most of the Darth Vadar's I've seen have the cape pinned to his shoulders, which would make it easier to animate, you really don't want cloth hanging around and from the armpits, its going to be a nightmare to rig up.

There seems to be quite a few wasted polys, like the tubes on the head, those cylinders have a lot of sides to them but the cape is pretty sparse, which if not given enough tris could deform very poorly.

I'm pretty sure the head connects to the shoulders, I don't think Darth is capable of moving his head independently from his shoulders?

His legs seem short and his torso seems long.

The arm anatomy seems kind of blobby and unrealistic.
  • Joker_47
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for comments & crits:
    thanks for the advice of colors , i will try to make it soon , don't wory about cap i will find a way to rig it and this will not a nightmare (i'm sure) , doesn't understood part where you talking about head and shoulders, i still not rig my model why did you think what in my model head independedly shoulders ? , about wasted poly on head , just delete them, i will check anatomy especially arms (but i guess they fine).

So thanks again for everything, i will try to fix all my mistakes to the next post
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I remember his helmet being attached to his neck, but I guess that's not the case after doing some searching. But still, the transition you have is a little short and blocky.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_oLbtTQY0cnE/TPOrkNC7wPI/AAAAAAAAAJQ/lEV2nYSZ0Y0/s640/IrvinKershnerStarWars.jpg
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome...hahaha
  • Joker_47
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaahhhh..... now i get it, ok try to fix it next time , and by the way, yes legs are small fix it right now

polycount :

9081 verts

9266 faces
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I'll say it since nobody else did. He's not really 'low poly'.

You say 9266 polys, which I assume is 18,000 tris (tris are what count in game). That's really closer to 'next gen' in-game models than low poly.

Low poly is all about using as few polys as possible and relying on the texture to make up for lack of polys. Look in the low poly thread (I mean 'mobile gaming thread now) and you'll see what I mean. 1000 tris or less could be used for a low poly darth and still look good.
    Some modelers could probably make a pretty decent one under 400 tris...

That being said he is looking pretty decent, but like stated above all black is hard to read.
    Which actually makes him a hard character to do really well, since he is all black.

The poly distribution could be cleaner imo, as stated above the tubes on his face have a lot of polys, his nose probably has more than needed, and you could probably use 'floating polys' to bring the count down and clean him up here and there (like the vents on his mouth, they could just be stand alone polys instead of modeled into the shape of the mask and you'd probably cut 50 tris).
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Baddcog wrote: »
    You say 9266 polys, which I assume is 18,000 tris (tris are what count in game).
    Eh, I think the 9,266 looks far more accurate. The model could use a fair bit of optimization but unless he's hiding a TON of tris somewhere, this model doesn't look to be 18,000 tris.

Anyway, model is looking decent, though the head especially could use a lot of optimization, you've modeled some things out that would be just as good just with normal maps. And as mentioned, the cylinders and stuff are way too dense poly-wise.

For a low-poly model I'd also give your diffuse map a lot more love.. work in some better variance in tones, as well as some lighting and shading.

edit: upon further inspection him saying 'faces' instead of tris or polies is a bit troubling. The overall level of detail for the model is not at all consistent, and not appropriate for a model of about 18,000 tris. Just keep working at it.. look at the wireframes of professional models and see how they do things.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah, it's hard to say really. On a 400 tri model you can almost count them on screen and tell if it's 400 or 800.

Seeing as how he said faces and the majority of the model is quads I just assumed it was quads.

Either way my point still stands, even at 9000 tris I don't think it can be considered 'low poly'
  • Joker_47
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright now i make textures withs highlightes and change height of legs , and what mostly important now my polycount :
    4430 faces
    8458 triangels i think it's good later im show you the pictures

by the way i look on polycount of body model from mass effect 2 so it's 9698 faces\triangels (+ 2000 or 3000 faces from head)
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joker, tri's and faces typically aren't interchangeable, if you notice in the count read in maya (i think that's what you're in) it will say "faces - " and "tri's - " faces being the count of quad's + visible tri's and tri's being the count of tri's (triangular 3 pointed faces) the model will be once triangulated for rendering and in game.

Baddcog I agree this isn't "low poly" in the sense of mobile gaming, but a current game low poly (as opposed to next gen) could be around 3-5k tri's. (A great example can be found here) However joker this is still no excuse for wasted poly's, anytime it can be optimized without any loss in quality then it should probably be done unless there is a good reason otherwise.

Do you have any insight on what you plan to do with this?
  • Joker_47
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1) i know what tri's and faces typically aren't interchangeable just maya show me same numbers
    2)i don't create this for mobile games , its' next-game cgaracther for computer game (or x-box or whatever)
    3)well anyway I will continue to model by removing some unusual edges (without losing quality)

thaks for comment
  • Joker_47
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so here is my model again screenshots i make in udk
    screenshot00011o.jpg
    screenshot00005g.jpg

if i have some errors tell me (im shure it's topology and color) but don't forget to say do you like my model or not