Home Technical Talk

Maya & processor usage.

Hi guys. Just wondering how I can UP the processor usage when baking normals. For example when I press CTRL ALT DEL, while baking its not even using 10% of my processor. (i7 2.6GHz). It used to shoot right up to 100% and be done in about 10 seconds. Now its taking forever. Is there an option in maya to dedicate more cpu usage to this?

Thanks a bunch! .

Replies

• s33th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Break, have you tried xnormal out? I used maya exclusively for baking occlusion and normals and it would take a long time on higher resolution maps. Then I tried xnormal and never looked back... it'll use any available cores and speed through any bakes that you throw at it. hope that helps.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah, xnormal is super. You can use all your threads on the CPU and use the GPU, on normal maps and AO. BUT, i have felt that maya's normal maps, in some cases, looks better. I have the same problem. Sitting on a 2600k it's using about 13% when baking. I have no idea what it is i'm afraid..
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Thats because Maya uses Mental Ray, which just uses one thread per mesh/texture whatever.So just one Core is used , for example Core i7(HT enabled) you have 8 cores(4 physical and 4 logical) so if one core is used for 100% the load on your cpu would be 12,5%(which gets rounded to 13% obviously).

If your mesh had multiple maps at once it would use more then one core.

Edit: This doesn´t count for the batch render, it will actually try doe make as many threads as you define.

Edit: Just try to bake more then one object and it should use your cores better.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Well, maya dosn't use mental ray when baking normal maps in transfer maps. If you don't chose it.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Well, maya only multithreads certain parts, that counts for Mr and Maya Software Renderer aswell.