Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Happy to have completed my Demo Reel! -plane crash scene

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
100Chihuahuas polycounter lvl 7
I am very, very excited to have completed my 2011 student demo reel! I would like to thank all the awesome polycount peeps who helped answer technical questions and who gave me motivation, and thank you to the threads that had great advice.

It can be viewed here [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK4ih_sSWm0[/ame]
Or here http://www.taylorpelto.com

Replies

• itsmadman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice work i feel the second piece is better then the first. and u know they always say put your best foot forward. But i do feel that some more work could be put in to the first piece. it looks complete, but still could use more objects, and polish to it. Its easier to add to something then make a total new project
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    So...you only created the plane on the first one or? I'm just wondering since you don't show any other individual assets or textures.

I liked the reel, nice scene. The second piece I didn't fully understand, did you create a 3d scene of that? We didn't get to see any wireframes or anything that's why I'm wondering. Either way, good work man! :)
  • 100Chihuahuas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @itsmadman - thanks for the critique. I was thinking about putting the second scene first, but I was not sure which one was better.

@Chrisradsby - Everything in this reel I created 100%. In the game scene, I felt like including my other maps and objects would be uninteresting and would only serve to make my demo reel drawn-out. I focused on the plane because it is the main object. Is that too confusing? Should I mention in my reel that everything is an original asset?

The second piece is a prerender scene I did in XSI, a higher-poly scene. Lol, yup it is 3D. Should I add a wireframe? It is more of a film piece, so while it is efficient in geometry, it is still almost 2 mil polys. I was not sure whether to add a wireframe or not.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Looking good, I think you should have this plane crash scene seperate from the other one to highlight it's quality.
    ALSO, I totally disagree with the music you used, it was boring, not interesting, nor did it match the scenes message. Crash - Disaster - Somber

Personally, I would have loved to have heard some atmospherics, night animal sounds, the wind blowing, desolate noises and depressing tones, with little or no beat as the camera hones in on the target. By the time you zoom out and the breakdown begins, that is the time to hit us with the cool beats! Draw us in then blow us away, maybe some metal or drum and bass.

My 2 pennies.
  • 100Chihuahuas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @GCMP
    Heey, nice ideas! I like the atmospheric noise ideas, I'll look into that!
    I decided on low-key, calmer music because I have heard a lot of industry people complain about bad/annoying music on demo reels, and I figured that something a little more pleasant to listen (like piano) to would be a good idea. I would like to hear more peoples thoughts on this. Time to google some ambient sounds :D