Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

"Immersion" The Non-Playable Game

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
Hey,
I couldn't think of a good thread title, but I am making a game for myself called "Immersion" I want to make this a full out game, but with no gameplay... Meaning I am modeling every asset and every level by myself, its all about art.... why? I need to challenge myself to step outside my comfort zone, I don't want to model single easy props anymore but I want to expand my skills as well. I want to make this thread not only a showcase, but a work in progress seeing if I improve at all. I would love Critism if it has to be harsh then so be it.

The story behind this "Game" is about a Man that was shot and left to die, he suddenly wakes up in a dream and finds out that the only way to wake up is to defeat his fears. The fears will be symbolized by Enemies. So the character would not only be fighting his fears but trying to find out who shot him.

I want a lot of symbolism in this and I am starting off with one room, at a time. I will gather concepts and try to model things off it, but not mimic them 100%.

Thanks and I hope to get some support by this.

Replies

• aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Work in progress #1

I found this concept by Banderlog on cghub.com. It is like a Waiting Room. This is where the character would find out what happened and such.

http://cghub.com/images/view/90593/

My work in progress is the pillar, I started on this piece because it seemed to pop out at me the most.

Pillarport.jpg

Crit welcome.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    The pillar's texture looks weird to me. Seeing a wood wainscot on concrete is just weird. I think the face of the pillar should be less noisy and look more like smooth gyp board or stucco, and the bottom should be a ceramic tile base. Just my two cents.
  • Segreto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Segreto polycount sponsor
    yeah, the concept makes it look like its made out of some sort of chipping stucco or something. Agreeing with the ceramic tiles as well. Right now it's looking like a rough concrete, or what should be beneath the plaster.

I do like the wood texture so far though, nice variation and it sells the idea well.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, i'll start getting a new texture on both the tile and the wall part. I'll keep the wood as I feel it sells it well too.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I immediately feel like you need to plan more, sure it's fun to go ahead and create assets, but assets without meaning or purpose feels kinda weird to me. It would be reasonable to use same same textures for the wall as for the pillar. Same thing would be for the wooden thing running along the walls.

Like nailing down the art-style, answer typical questions and how you go about doing things.

- Do you want it to be a realistic-looking game?
    - Do I need to create a blockout? (worry about texture-resolution/texel issues)
    - If it's not playable do you have to worry about optimization/budgets?
    - How will you convey to the viewer that this is a "dream environment" and not real?
    etc etc

Just some good questions to think about. :)

For example working with a budget that is reasonable for this generation of games seems like a good idea to me. It'll help to give you direction as to how to you can go about creating your textures and assets.

I think everything is looking cool so far, I like the idea of being consistent. I hope you can see this through, good luck man.