Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pinup - Gil Elvgren

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Dean polycounter lvl 9
Hey,

I recently started a new character, aimed mainly at getting a better feel for creating different types of materials, overal sculpting and texturing. I chose the following concept by Gil Elvgren:
k0r2m8.jpg

Here's where I'm at:

xfubds.jpg
Hands and toes need some love. I'm currently blocking out the clothing.

Aaaaand naked:
2qathl3.jpg

And a couple of head shots:
2nkm1w3.jpg

Expression is obviously a little incongruent with the concept, will fix that a little later on.

Any C&C is greatly appreciated so I can improve =)

Credits:
Concept - Gil Elvgren
Body basemesh: Arshlevon (Baseman_toes)

Replies

• Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    You should look at more of Gil Elvgren's pinups; he painted women in a very specific style and it's pretty obvious he used the same models over and over again. They tend to have prominent cheekbones, apple cheeks, full lips and pretty round heads.

Your model's head is too long right now and the lips aren't full enough. Her head also seems to be too large and I think what's throwing you off there is how poofy her hair is.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this. Her collar bone has some pretty serious issues. I'd suggest taking a look at models online. Met-Art tends to have a lot of skinny models that will help you with bone structure.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Dean, the concept looks like a period piece, so I would recommend you look up what was considered the 'ideal' female physique at the time. You may find you need a far smaller waist on her and perhaps bigger hips. If you can nail down the period the style is based on I am sure you will find some great refs. Its tricky when you only have a side shot.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Proportionally, it looks like your model is too short or the head is too large, or both. The torso also looks compressed and lacking definite separations from the upper and lower body. There's some decent stuff going on in the face, but I agree with Swizzle about paying attention to how Elvgren idealized his faces.
  • jocz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocz polygon
    Great start but I agree with the previous comments,
    if you want a nice idea of how it could look, you can check Antropus's B-Movie entry, he did an awesome pin up model.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=845251
    http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/26/19158/19158_1264999934_medium.jpg
  • Dean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dean polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks a TON for the crits guys, I really appreciate it=)

@Swizzle: I can't even imagine how the hell I didn't notice it myself but yep, the collar bone was seriously FUBAR lol, tried to fix it. Thanks for the tip on the similarity between Elvgren's other models, I'm using some of those as reference as well now.

@spacemonkey: Thanks, I agree that I wasn't really paying attention to the style of the period, d'oh! Decreased the size of the tits a bit, gave her a bit more fat in some areas, increased the hip size and decreased the size of the waist.

@Haikai: Agreed, I made some changes to her head, for the better I think.

@jozc: Thanks=) Those refs are great, downloaded!=)

Here are a couple of pics. Did my best to incorporate the crits into my model. I also started on the facial expression but it doesn't feel right yet, time to look for loads of pics of pouting girls to fix it.

6h816p.png

156vler.png

Since Elvgren doesn't show the front of the dress, I was thinking of using something akin to the design this image:

2hqfogg.jpg

It's PROBABLY a little different than the one he would have done but it is congruent with his style in terms of how much cleavage is shown I think, looking at the following image:

ws1aax.jpg

Lastly, I was pondering what do do about the folds in the cloth I'm going to do. Seeing as they should change based on the pose, I think I'll pose her before doing the folds, and doing the folds on the posed model. Good idea?

Tl;dr:
    Thanks for the crits, here are updates, would love more input =P

Cheers!
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    For me, the chin / jawline feels a little stretched vertically. Obviously you have to go with your preference for the female face, but that is what is standing out to me
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    It's looking better, but I think you need to widen her shoulders, and she still feels really short to me.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    ^Spam? And if not... I think you are on the wrong forum.

the cleft in the chin is pretty extreme and not very natural looking. It more closely resembles a man's cleft chin. The crack I think goes up too far.

I agree the face is long. If you are referencing that last picture, that one looks long because of her expression. It is almost like a OOOO sound... like woo!

And lastly I think the head is a tad too large.

Keep it coming sir! :)
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    The legs are way too short.

Look at the pelvis.

Humans should be able to kick over their own heads. I don't think your model can. Midgets and toddlers would kick themselves in the face.
    kyokushin-karate-tournament-girl-axe-kick.jpg

I would highly recommend fixing the proportions on your base before going forward with the clothing.

The facial anatomy seems off. The eyebrows seem a bit to high. The chin/jawline seem a bit too pointy and narrow, and the lips need quite a bit of work.

Most of the crits in this thread seem pretty accurate.

It's a good start! Keep going with it!

:D
  • Ikosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ agree with all these crits. Also the nostrils apear to be pointing out at 45 degres and the forehead plane change is a little soft with the eyebrows 'kinking' before they hit where the plane change should be
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Bot necroed thread from almost a year ago.

I wonder if he ever finished the model.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Bot necroed thread from almost a year ago.

*facepalm* Stupid spam post confusing me.