Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Feedback [Website Porfolio] AndrewChason.com, and presenting Assets

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Incomitatum polycounter lvl 17
I -like- my current website. I think it shows my casual and whimsical mood. My friends know I would love to work on ANY game, but more so those that inspire imagination not just a Gears clone. So, my CURRENT SITE reflects that.

One problem is, my site isn't -done- (will it ever be?), and I am trying to make a push to get a job somewhere in Texas before the summer. As such, so people can take me a bit more seriously, I have made THIS Mockup. The element space is wider (1000px from the original 960px). It is more "neutral", but lacks personality. However I hope it allows for the art to speak louder than the site.

So, what are your thoughts. Please be kind but constructive.

The LAST question is one about presenting 3d assets well. I have seen LOTS of people present asset sheets, but what is considered BEST practice. The one on my Mockup is something I did quickly just to have something to show on there (that's why the textures are turned, I was just working on layout and presentation).

Do I really need to show texture sheets? Should I show off the highpoly models, so long as the bakes look good on the low? Do potential employers want to see renders or screen grabs from UDK?

If you have some examples that don't take you long to find of some of the BEST examples of showing off assets, please let me know.

StrangLet seems to get away with just showing off the model, but then again, with the MassEffect work he just did the textures.

How much of showing everything is professional vs. the insecurity of feeling like you need to show it all?

I look forward to feedback. I thought about putting this in Technical Talk, so if you think it belongs there, please move it.

Replies

• fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    As such, so people can take me a bit more seriously, I have made StrangLet seems to get away with just showing off the model, but then again, with the MassEffect work he just did the textures.

What on earth does this mean?

Your portfolio is good in that it shows off your 2d work immediately. everything else seems redundant: what would go in digital art that couldn't go in 3d art or game art? Why have a webdesign section at all? Don't have active links to pages that aren't there, it makes me feel like I've wasted my time! And your site design is very clunky; Your background is distracting, theres big black chunks on the side. Your text is large, in times new roman, and black.

I guess my biggest criticism is I dislike the design of your site. It looks too unprofessional, it doesn't have a strong style or theme. Lots of thick borders, terrible text and too many links.

I'm not sure what you where asking for in your post, but here's my take away advice:

> You need a simple clean redesign that shows off your stuff quickly.
    > ONLY show your best work. Focus on showing off what your aiming to get hired doing.
    > Read up on the many many many portfolio threads here. They all say the same thing: Keep It Simple!

Edit:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39516
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, yes. I see, the BBCode messed up that sentence. And took out most of my post from one use of URL to the next. As such I can see your frustration with my crappy site and didn't see the, proposed, NEW skin.

If you could take the time to comment on it that would be appreciated.

The "too many links" comes from portions I intend to fill in, and soon, I can see why that would be off-putting. The 3d section is something I am building now as I have assets for it, but am considering how I should show them off. *see my messed up, now fixed, first post.

Most of my experience in gaming has been with 2D, GUI art, sprite creation, icons; etc. I'm not bad at 3d, and would much -rather- be making props and environments. I will do either or both. Whatever gets me a job.

Seems every other person I talk to is of 2 minds. One says you should find ONE thing and focus on it, and the other says it's good to know a little bit of everything. I have done Audio Engineering, Video Editing, 2d, Web Design, Sprites, Level Design, Game design.... For a smaller studio, I might could be a boon. I think the difference might be studio size. Bigger studios need you to be a specific tool in their toolbox. I am not saying that's a bad thing though.

The "Digital Art" would be for the few concept Digital Paintings I have done. Not 3d, but not 2d Game art.

In regards to my current site you said
    And your site design is very clunky; Your background is distracting, theres big black chunks on the side. Your text is large, in times new roman, and black.

I don't see black chunks. What resolution are you viewing it at? What browser? I may have forgot to tell the background to repeat on the X. My text is large? I never considered that to be too large. What is wrong with Times New Roman (it is said to be easier to read). Yes the text is indeed black. In fact, if your resolution is so high that you can see the black bars, but the text STILL looks large then you May have your browser zoomed oddly.

However all this should pale in the fact that I redoing it all like THIS; what are your thoughts?
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wanted to get another pair of eyes on the new design before I code it up.
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Despite Feedback, I went ahead with the redesign. I like it. Has lot of potential. Now to get the content in there.
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I have begun to do some layouts of a few assets. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Stairs.jpg

Dumpster.jpg
  • Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    So, I have begun to do some layouts of a few assets. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Stairs.jpg

I think my eyes are playing tricks on me, but are those object space normal maps? Or some decidedly 'curvy' tangent space normals?
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Kinda just looks like you overlayed a bunch of oversaturated textures and called it a day. The weird lighting doesn't help either. Work on unifying your assets by using a more desaturated colors first, blend them together and do a bit of painting.
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, then it must be the lighting. As the textures are not -that- saturated. :| I'll work on that.
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    your normals doesn't look correct anyway, those colour differences are due to a bad smoothing group or bad baking with a model like that, the normals should be flat and only showing up the details in colours, not a whole rainbow on it :P
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I may need to go rebake those normals then. They show up well on the model, I hadn't really looked at them and though, "These aren't right", as they seem to be Tangent and not something like World Space Normals.

I did my bake In Mudbox with "settings for Max".
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dumpster Updated. Desaturated the texture just a bit (yeah most dumpsters really -are- that blue though).

Changed the lighting as suggested on the UDK Boards.

Dumpster.jpg

Still working on the stairs. I am going to try to export the superhigh-mesh out of Mud into Max. My Max normally crashes when I do this though (I hope 2011 hold up better?).

Something like Xnormal? I never could make heads or tails of that program. :|
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the problem seems to be that your normals gets inverted and stuff like that, check if your green chanel is not inverted.
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mudbox tends to invert the Green? I will check on this, and thank you.

::EDIT::

Flipped. Wow. Why would Mudbox DO that? Yeah, that is looking MUCH better. Pics soon.

I mean the map still -looks- like rainbow colored cat-crap; but it plays very nice with the model now.
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, some progs use Y- and some others Y+, its a common problem ;)
    To make your normals look not like Rainbow, you must adjust your smoothing groups, or at least change the angle of them to something like 60º or 80º, play with the values till you get smooth enough results, the more grey flat tone your low poly is, the better, when it gets shadowing or gradients on the corners or in the middle of a plain it means that you overdone your smoothing angle.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Mudbox tends to invert the Green? I will check on this, and thank you.

::EDIT::

Flipped. Wow. Why would Mudbox DO that? Yeah, that is looking MUCH better. Pics soon.

Max and Unreal both use -y. Mudbox, by default has it set to +y for Maya compatibility. Just change the "compatibility" setting to 3ds Max in the "Normal Map Output" settings for the extraction in Mudbox.