Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

High Poly Vehicle Concept

Replies

• jordan.kocon
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    Make sure you invert the green chanel on your normal before bringing them into udk (if you havent already)
  • trancerobot
    Offline / Send Message
    trancerobot polycounter lvl 7
    Granted the old texture was dark - brightening it would have been trivial. The new texture is pretty bad IMO.

Great modeling work though!
  • roosterMAP
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    I would start the texture from scratch.
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Make sure you invert the green chanel on your normal before bringing them into udk (if you havent already)

No, the max normals are the same as the ones in UDK.

+1 on to bright. The problem you hade with the first on was that it was all black and no visible details. Now it's just flat.
  • jaxeller
    Offline / Send Message
    jaxeller polycounter lvl 10
    -_- clearly none of you read my comments when I post them with a render.
  • EarthQuake
    Yeah, its just flat diffuse guys, no spec, no normals, this is pretty obvious.

I dont care for the camo pattern, its much too small
  • jaxeller
    Offline / Send Message
    Texture work redone on the vehicle. Textures shown are 2 1024x1024 map sets. I worked in 2048x2048.

ThePanther-BlackEdition.jpg
  • jaxeller
    Offline / Send Message
    ThePanther-BlackEdition-02.jpg

ThePanther-BlackEdition-01.jpg

One render with mud and the other without. I noticed that I had an additional layer of mud in my diffuse texture that shouldn't have been there in my previous post.
  • floorpeas
    Offline / Send Message
    floorpeas polycounter lvl 6
    jaxeller wrote: »
    ThePanther-BlackEdition-02.jpg

The texture looks really noisey now and really hard to read the form of the vehicle. In some senses this is good as its what camo is meant to do, however for showing off a nice vehicle this doesnt work. Your scratches are now better placed, though still a little random. Look at the parts people interact with, these should be scratched and worn and any part that will reguarly be hit by stones/gravel and branches.

You REALLY need to create a seperate specular map for all the assets. You cant just add one specular tone over the whole shader and expect it to look good. You have shiney mud, this is completely unrealistic unless its very wet, I mean swamp wet! If you are going to create a mud version, I would make it dry mud, so you can really tell the difference between shiney body and mud. You will need to make a seperate specular to have mid green/grey on body, white for scratches and dark grey/blue for mud with a slight noise on it to bring out details. (look here for details on why they are opposite colours : http://www.philipk.net/tutorials/materials/materials.html ) You will probably also need a gloss map (again similar style white being shiney black not)

Also the texture on the bullbars looks very stretched.
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    It's definitely too noisy, much of the detail from your high-poly is getting lost. The mud seems somewhat haphazardly placed as well, if you're going to have it that dirty, , there should definitely be more dirt on areas behind the tires, and it would look streakier, sort of spattered on there. Right now it just kind of seems like you put it on just to put it on. Your spec map(s) needs a lot of work as well, could you post it up so we can see what you're working with? Dried mud would have no reflective properties whatsoever, and most military vehicles are a matte finish, not glossy.

It looks like you put the normal map filter over the mud? Please correct me if I'm wrong but that's how it looks, very messy (I know, it's mud, but still) and it takes away from the detail.

Just some things I noticed, with a little work, this thing will really pop, great job!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Look at racers tutorial, give focal points like you would an image, you don't just take a picture, you compose it.http://www.nextgenhardsurface.com/index.php?pageid=racer445
    This tutorial should give you a better Idea, I know you prolly are finished with this, but it's not done.