Home Technical Talk

Free Character reference?

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew of any good character reference websites, I have started giving character modelling a try. I don't really have the funds for 3D.sk so anything either cheaper or free would be brilliant. I have seen some on stock image sites I could use for free but they rarely come with side shots of the face and the lighting is sometimes a little off. I guess if I aren't paying for textures, I will have to settle for the half decent stuff... unless you Polycounters can point me in the right direction.

I've Googled, checked the wiki and searched the forums and couldn't find anything so sorry if this has already been asked. >.<

Replies

• tharle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    what sort of reference are you looking for? whenever i've done character work i've generally found things like health and fitness magasines and model portfolio websites to be pretty helpful. they generally have a good selection of shots of the same person with good lighting etc. they wont have t poses or nice orthographic images though.

i guess there's nothing stopping you going out with a camera and taking photos of your friends or yourself?
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    3D.sk
    I don't really have the funds for 3D.sk

Although fineart.sk has some references
  • SteveyConlan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I saw fineart.sk while searching but there are only a handful, and unfortunately not really what I'm looking for. I might have to get the camera out, I have access to the Uni studio, so I could probably do that, I guess I'm just being a bit lazy. :P I might have to look into the magazine idea although, I don't know quite how crisp the image would be when scanning though, but thanks for your suggestions. :)
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    If you're worried about the crispness of the images, it might be best to get into the habit of not relying on studio-quality orthographic references for modeling and texturing. Instead look more for references of skulls, muscle structure, and the planes. If you're modeling a specific person then even a small blurry image should be enough to ballpark the general proportions, letting your eyes and mind do the rest (with external/ non-rotoscoped references).

Statues, figures, and even store display mannequins can be nice cheap 3d references to keep around the desk.