Home Technical Talk

How to quickly select edges with XSI?

I am learning how to unwrap with XSI, but in the tutorials I follow the author is able to quickly select multiple edges that seem to follow along a line, like here at 0:50 seconds:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZrQtFlo7o0[/ame]

For me, simply selecting that tool does not have the same effect. Is there a shortcut key he may be pressing to select all in between edges?

I'm hoping Cryrid will pop in here, not only because he's always very helpful, but I think I stole the Roadkill plug-in from your site! I was having hours of frustration and even switched to Max and Blender before I finally found that plugin and came back to XSI, so thanks already!

Replies

• Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Hit 'I' to go into raycast edge selection mode, then use these combinations:

Alt + Middle Click will select a loop/ring
    Alt + Left Click will select a range of edges

Theres also a few options by right clicking with a edge selected, and pick one of the loop options.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I'm hoping Cryrid will pop in here
    Ark nailed it already. But if you go here and under Selections expand "Range and Edgeloops", there are gifs showing it in action. Works with edges and polygons.
    selectrange.gif
    selectloop.gif
  • yamahaalex37
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much guys!

Now, is it possible to select edges without worrying about XSI selecting edges on the OTHER side of my model? It seems every time I go through selecting edges I am constantly having to flip the model around and undo the random edges that got selected.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    If you're in shaded mode, I think using 'i' instead of 'e' for edges will only select edges you can see. Otherwise you could try the different selection tools (select>tools>etc).

You could also go into the preferences, and under tools>selection turn on 'raycast in shaded mode'.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I love all of xsi's edge short cuts :D