Home General Discussion

Indie game looking for artists

Please note; I didn't post this in the 'Work Opportunities' part because this posts
is about discussing 'how to setup a good deal'.

My name is Hugo Smits I just registered here and this is my first post. I have been visting this site every now and then to just gasp at the great art.

In 2008 I quit school to concentrate on making videogames fulltime. I created a
company called Goodbye Galaxy Games from my bedroom and started work on
my first Nintendo DS title called 'Flipper'.

Because of the financial crisis the publisher went bankrupt and I brought 'Flipper' to DSi-Ware instead of retail. It did pretty well (was in the top 10 of best selling games) and got some nice reviews and quite a big fan following.

Right now I'm almost done with Flipper 2 (also for Dsi-Ware).

Since 2008 I grew from my bedroom to a office that is actually a licensed Nintendo developer (I started with just hacking the DS).

But the real dream was always to create a triple A title. I thought it was a good idea to make little games first (so I could see which concepts worked, and didn't work).

While I did that, I came up with a really fun and innovating game concept that I think will work well as a xbox360/PS3 title.

The goal now is to build a demo/prototype and hopefully get a publisher to pick it up. I do have the programming skills needed to create a prototype, however, I don't have the artistic skills.

Just to give you guys a quick idea of the work that is needed;

- level :

I need a floor in a office complex with desks (having variouse things on them such as a phone, computer,papers,pens). Of course a lot of those objects can be the same.

- characters :

the bare-minimum would be 2 different characters. I can use 1 model to represent all enemies (although It would be nice if they could have some differents, for example change the color of their shirts).

- things the player can hold :
The player must be able to hold some objects (like the player hold a gun in a FPS). They are models of things that are all ready in the level (such as the phone on the desk) but I imagine it's better to have some hi-res model/texture.

I honestly have no clue how much time the above list will take to create. And how much this should cost. Because of this it's very hard to create a attractive deal for the artist. And I was hoping you guys could give me some advice.

With the DS titles everybody involved got a nice paycheck in the end, and where able to add a 'handheld/console title to their resume'.

So that went really well. And I want the same situation for the artist(s) that will help me out with this game as well. I mean, if you work hard for something you need to be rewarded accordingly.