Home Technical Talk

Guillaume Provost's article 'Beautiful, Yet Friendly'

How prevalent is this article(http://www.ericchadwick.com/examples/provost/byf1.html) with current gaming platforms?

Replies

• TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, My boss wrote that a while ago, i asked him about it, he said it's all still relevant, just negligible in how much difference it makes on todays hardware. The more important thing is surfaces, materials and shader costs. Although i'm no graphics programmer, maybe i can coax him to write something although GDC is incoming, GAHH!!! hope that sort of helps? good read, but outdated on todays hardware.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    I'd like to just bump this thread up because EVERYBODY interested in doing any kind of modeling for games should read both pages of this article. It's a little old, but all the info is still 100% relevant.

Any questions you have about optimizing your model are answered in it. Seriously, go read it!
  • CaptainTC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That would be very useful to get a rehash of Provost's or at least a posting to talk about more current pref optimization issues. I, personally, would find it very informative and of great help and I am sure that others would be very interested as well.

I spend most of my day worrying about pref and trying to get the most out my materials. I would very appreciative for any knowledge for pref optimization.
  • CaptainTC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    double post sry about that
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's really not that outdated. Everything there still stands true.

The difference these days is that shaders and textures become equally expensive and geometry is relatively cheaper than it was. But you should still be paying attention to what it says.
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Talon, totally agree, its relevant, just not as pertinent as it once was.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445: Yeah, this one really is the must-read item for game artists. If they don't staple it to the foreheads of freshmen at game art schools, they're doing something wrong.

TrevorJ: If the author feels like extending his writing with some shader-related stuff that would be awesome :P
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    super necropost. but super helpful read. thanks for digging it up. i forgot the last time i read this