Home Technical Talk

Unwrapping with XSI or Max?

I am trying to learn modeling, and I successfully unwrapped and textured a crate with XSI Mod Tool 7.5, however when I try to unwrap the Man model included in the program, the result is a mess. I can not for the life of me find any XSI unwrapping tutorial...

Since I am a student and have access to 3ds Max for free, I'm wondering if I should just start learning that instead, if tasks like unwrapping are more efficient. I originally chose XSI because it seemed to be the easiest to integrate with the Source Engine (HL2), however my ultimate goal is going to be importing to various game engines, and making short cartoon animations. Think I should switch to Max while I'm still in the learning phase?

Thanks.

Replies

• arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arvinmoses polycounter lvl 13
    XSI is great. Probably the most intuitive of the big 3 imo. Most ppl I've met who've used all three (Maya, Max, XSI) say the same thing.

That being said... I think many game studios use Max, so it would be great to learn it.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    You could also take advantage of your student status to get Softimage 2011 for free as well, which would include several improvements over Mod Tool (one of which being a better unwrapping option).

There are a few video tutorials for unwrapping in Softimage on the Area, as messy as that system is.