Home Technical Talk

Switching Between Objects' Sub-Objects (3ds Max)?

There was a thread about somewhere on this, but I can't find it.

If I have an object with modifiers in its stack, what's the quickest way to select the object and get to the sub-object mode at the bottom of the stack (ie. Select the object and be at Editable Poly - Vertex)?

Ideally, is there a way to exit from an object mode (ie Editable Poly - Vertex) and, on returning to the object, it will enter back into that mode (Editable Poly - Vertex)?

Thanks

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might be able to do that through scripting I don't think there is a way that max does it by default...

I enter, leave and navigate sub-object modes by using the hotkeys 1,2,3,4 (I think that's the default). I click an object and punch 1 for verts, to exit back to object mode I hit 1 again.

I think you might need to change the default bindings or have Keyboard Shortcut Override turned on for the defaults to work. I remapped my shortcuts and got rid of the max defaults which made it so I didn't need KBSO on.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Vig. I navigate that way too. It only works for sub-object modes at the top of the stack though. A lot of the time I have an editable poly/spline at the bottom of the stack with deformers on top.

Ideally, it would be great to be able to click on an object and be at the same sub-object of the same modifier that you were on before you left the object. 99% of the time that's where I want to be when I select an object. It makes no sense to have to keep pressing multiple buttons for such a common task.

There must be a script for this.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: I've found the following script which allows you to get straight to the base object:

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/modifier-auto-select

I can't find a script that returns you to the same sub-object of the same modifier that you were on before you left the object. If anyone knows of one, or can script it, please post.

I'll post a request on the script forums too.
  • Bryan Cavett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bryan Cavett polycounter lvl 19
    Give this a shot http://www.bryancavett.com/maxscripts/baseObject.ms

It will be under BCTools>baseObject

It will switch between the top and bottom of the stack. (It always puts you back in subobjectlevel 1 when you go back to the baseObject)

I know its not exactly what your looking for but its all Ive ever needed.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Bryan, I'll give it a try.