Home Technical Talk

An FFD Modifier That Works?

Does anyone know of a decent workaround or plugin for a working FFD modifier in Max. Set Volume and Deform: Only In Volume doesn't work.

I've got half way there by selecting the faces before applying the FFD but it's still half baked.

Replies

• Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you mean it doesn't work?

The Deform: Only In Volume option is based off the lattice. Make sure you have "Source Volume" checked on under the display section in the command panel. Then adjust "Lattice" rather than "Set Volume". Only vertices inside the lattice should be affected by the control points then.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    According to Max Help, you can use the Set Volume to shape the Lattice around the object. So Set Volume is the same as Lattice but with finer control.

So, I should be able to go into Set Volume mode, position the verts to create the lattice, then go to Control Points mode and move the points whilst only deforming inside the Lattice.

Either the features don't work as they should or it's way over complicated.
  • Octo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Octo polycounter lvl 18
    Just a thought, but model a simple mesh to act as the deformer and use skin wrap..make sure the 'use all verts' (or whatever) option is checked..
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Playdo wrote: »
    So, I should be able to go into Set Volume mode, position the verts to create the lattice, then go to Control Points mode and move the points whilst only deforming inside the Lattice.

Or you could go into Lattice mode to create the lattice. Did you try what I suggested in my previous post?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Octo wrote: »
    Just a thought, but model a simple mesh to act as the deformer and use skin wrap..make sure the 'use all verts' (or whatever) option is checked..

this + wrapit is an awesome mix. creating a quick custom lattice from a cylinder is super fast.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SeanEG wrote: »
    Or you could go into Lattice mode to create the lattice. Did you try what I suggested in my previous post?

Yes I have, but in Lattice you can only scale and rotate, you can't position individual points (which is what Set Volume is there for). This restricts you from deforming a specific part of the mesh. Am I missing something here or is there actually a way in FFD to create a custom shaped Lattice - is Set Volume actually dud?

@Octo: I'll have a look at skin wrap.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Octo wrote: »

Much better. Thanks. You can clone your object, remove a load of edge loops and use it as the control shape.