Home Technical Talk

Turn a Cylinder to a Tube.

I guess this is the forum section to post this. I googled everywhere. is it possible? can it be done on max 3sd? How do you turn a perfectly good cylinder into a tube without deleting it and starting all over with a tube and trying to get it perfectly shaped/sized like the cylinder you had?

Replies

• mdeforge
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Inset the faces on the cap on both ends, delete the caps, bridge to the center. Add in control loops if you're going to turbosmooth. Alternatively you could try to delete the caps and apply a skin modifer. Been a while since I've used Max, but that may work. Why can't you just create a tube primitive again?

To be frank, and possibly a douchebag, this is something you should be able to figure out either by experimentation or googling. I did a quick search and found several ideas to try. Just look at the tools you have in Max and think creatively on how you can apply those to get the shape you need. The modeling thread that's stickied on this board would be another good thing to look at.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Basically what he said^
    not for 3ds, but same idea.

toCEm.gif
  • Dashtoronto
    Stradigos wrote: »
    Inset the faces on the cap on both ends, delete the caps, bridge to the center. Add in control loops if you're going to turbosmooth. Alternatively you could try to delete the caps and apply a skin modifer. Been a while since I've used Max, but that may work. Why can't you just create a tube primitive again?

To be frank, and possibly a douchebag, this is something you should be able to figure out either by experimentation or googling. I did a quick search and found several ideas to try. Just look at the tools you have in Max and think creatively on how you can apply those to get the shape you need. The modeling thread that's stickied on this board would be another good thing to look at.

ha ha ha. Stradigos and ZacD, i can see what you guys are saying, but can you say it in slower, noob language for a noob? cause i'm just starting out on Max 3ds and i google pretty much everything. Watched every tutorial on youtube and i'm making amazing progress daily.

Say it again in step by step in a more noob language for a noob?
  • bbob
    You can also delete the caps and slap on a shell modifier.. Then whatever loops you have will be replicated on the inside as well..
  • Dashtoronto
    bbob wrote: »
    You can also delete the caps and slap on a shell modifier.. Then whatever loops you have will be replicated on the inside as well..

ya that's what i was thinking...

.............................................................................................how do you do that?

*goes to google*
  • Sean VanGorder
    Modifier Method

1. Select and delete the polygons on the ends of the cylinder.

2. Go the the modifier dropdown menu and select the "Shell" modifier to apply it to the cylinder.

3. Set the "Outer Amount" spinner to 0 and adjust the "Inner Amount" spinner of the modifier to what you want.

Poly Modeling Method

1. Select the polygons on each end of the cylinder.

2. In the command panel, hit the box next to the button that says "Inset".

3. Adjust the settings to the thickness you want.

4. Select and delete the inner polygons on the caps of the cylinder.

5. Hit the 3 key to go into border selection mode, and select the borders around where you just deleted the polygons.

6. With the borders selected, go to the command panel and hit the "Bridge" button.

Hope that makes sense.
  • Mark Dygert
    Tube primitive?

Or like bbob suggested, delete the end caps and shell it.

Seriously if you need help with that, you need to spend some more time working with the software, checking the Help Doc that comes with it and doing basic tutorials that come packaged with the software.

If you want a step by step tutorial on how to delete end caps and apply a shell modifier... that's just crazy talk and you're being lazy.
  • bbob
    ya that's what i was thinking....how do you do that?

*goes to google*

I know it sounds boring, but hitting F1 is actually a hugely helpful resource for all sorts of technical questions like that. First F1, then google.

We could walk you through every single step of creating a model. But troubleshooting things like this is a way more important skill than knowing how to shell or bridge geometry. From the little experience I have making 3D/compositing/whatever/coffee as an intern, I know that I would be fired very quickly if I put my paw up every time I hit a technical wall. Besides - if you are used to getting info from asking people - what are you going to do when your ability matches those that you are asking, and you are still hitting walls?

Good luck with the project though.. :D
  • Dashtoronto
    Thanks guys.

I used the Modifier Method. Worked out perfectly.

now all i gotta do is, learn how to make chains. :P
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Tube primitive?

As Mark suggests there is a Standard Primitive called tube! No need for edit poly when you can just draw it on screen :)
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    He said in the first place he doesn't want to use a new Tube shape :)