Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Welder

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Salki polycounter lvl 9
Hey everyone, first post here. I'm posting here to show a preview of a project I am currently working on for my demo reel. I won't post any back story on this char as it's kinda in pieces right now.

This is his "welding" gear, in-short he constructs a large robotic gorilla over his lifetime to hold the history of the world before it ends.

I am at the point of re-working / figuring out his equipment.

Initial Concept:

5371627611_51365fe687_b.jpg

Low-Poly base anatomy normals test:

5407115146_bfc80dc17b_b.jpg

High-Poly:

5369405956_7a64d94c5a_b.jpg

5392325864_6b0f3f9120_b.jpg

New welding gear concept:

5429986526_8c89e06175_b.jpg

Sorry for the picture spam. I just wanted to get critiques up to the point where I am currently at and where it started from.

Thanks!

Replies

• Salki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Salki polycounter lvl 9
    Had issues with the thread posting.
    /Bump
  • Salki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Salki polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks, I was afraid of posting bigger pics (some forum viewers don't like them). I can update them though :).
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I took a welding course 2 months ago and from a pure technical point of view you're mixing things up in a way that doesn't make much sense. I'd read a bit into how welding works, read up on the types (well the two big ones, oxyfuel and arc welding).
    If you're gonna use two tanks and an open flame "blowtorch" like setup such as your first concept is depicting, your new concept makes little sense, it looks more like an arc welding setup (electricity and a single canister of atmosphere shielding gas). Also, you definitely need goggles, but for arc welding you'll need a pretty heavy shield even (no small goggles, arc is much too bright). Fingerless gloves also make very little sense as it's exactly your fingers you want to protect: makes it much easier to hold the metal you'll be heating when welding.

I'm really into technical accuracy even on fictional designs, I feel it makes for more interesting visuals, but you can just ignore me if you want and make it look cool as you feel.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Xoliul makes some good points. The concept has pipe wrenches (plumber).

You can get lens that are dark enough for arc welding (for goggles), it's just alot easier to use a hood because you can see what you're doing, align your tools, then flick the hood down with a snap of your neck. Can't do that with goggles.

I like the style with the torches, however both tanks should feed into one torch, and the hoses should probably be longer. Maybe make them loop at the hip (and both go around one side together.

A torch rig is gonna be light duty welds. Fine if it's kind of rickety robot. But if it's a mechanical beast you'd probably want to go arc/electric.
  • Salki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Salki polycounter lvl 9
    Finally some badass feedback. This guy is still in the conceptualizing stage so this is such valuable feedback guys. In his initial design I really didn't like his weapons or symmetry of his gear, so that's why I added that mech arm.

I really think I will take a step back from this and do some research into what "makes sense" and make that look cool, rather than have semi-cool stuff that is completely non-nonsensical.

Thanks so much.
  • Salki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Salki polycounter lvl 9
    Ok it's been a while since I've posted here, been making some decisions with the direction my character was and is currently headed. I decided against the "welder" label of him, and instead broadened his title to "machinist." He still fits snugly in my world, and in fact may fit a bit better with this update.

Besides the hair / gloves addition he is now aided by an AI backpack / repair droid that also acts as his confidant. Think C3PO without the annoying voice and mannerisms. The droid acts as a backpack by locking onto the character and aids him with additional robotic limbs while constructing or in battle.

Please ignore the boots as I didn't have time to really get to them tonight. I am thinking of going back to the folded over flap from the earlier version.

I am really welcoming crits / comments / feedback / suggestions!

5531266458_e3595dcdf9_b.jpg