Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – unstoppablex

Hey guys, I'm looking for critique on both the website and the portfolio content, let me know if there is something that you either like or something that needs fixing or something i shouldn't have in my portfolio. www.m310designs.com

Replies

• unstoppablex
    I've updated some renders based on some suggestions. The tabs on the top should work fine now as well.
  • DDuckworth
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    I agree about the character, even the other character (female) seems a little off proportions, mostly her legs seem short on the pose. Overall nice stuff, a little empty but good lighting and i particularly like the mayan building.
  • unstoppablex
    thanks for the feedback guys - just wondering, what's wrong with the bottom character?
  • Rockley Bonner
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    thats some sloppy polypainting/sculpting youve got on the bottom charachter.
  • Harbinger
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    You've got some nice architectural stuff to show. In general though a lot of your renders lack contrast. Take a look at the histogram for each shot in Photoshop, it should cover the whole range of black to white. You should fix this in your lighting to get the best results, but at bare minimum, run a levels adjustment:

levels01.jpg
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    The environment models themselfs look fine, but the textures are really bringing them down. Like Harbinger said bring up the contrast on your screens, and use some sharpen filter while you're at it. procedural bump on your mayan temple is doing you no favors, nor is the grey/foggy background.

For the characters, the faces need a ton of work (scrap the bust at the bottom of the page). The girls legs are too short, and the low poly model is wasteful.
  • unstoppablex
    Thanks guys for your feedback!

No idea why I wasn't touching up my renders in photoshop to begin with.

-I will remove my bottom sculpt on my next site update. (it was my first ever sculpture, should of realized it shouldn't be on my portfolio)

-Thanks for pointing out her legs, didn't catch that before, i see it now, perhaps I need to edit the rig so she poses properly, unless polyhertz you say her legs are just short in general? I can only see it in her pose?

-Polyhertz, what do you suggest i do with the mayan temple to improve it?

thanks guys for the feedback, if there is anything else on my site you believe isn't good enough to display just let me know. I may not take it down immediately but after im done the current pieces im working on I'll consider it! I'm vastly getting better each day so i'm not worried at all I won't be able to do better then the current pieces on my portfolio.

Below is the adjustments I made in photoshop, let me know how it is!
    New:

buildings01final.png
    Old
    buildings01final.png

Also, here is the polypainted version of my highpoly female, I didn't include this on my portfolio because I didn't think displaying the polypaint was necessary, should I replace this one with the black and white one? or keep both?
    characterpaintfinal.png
  • megalmn2000
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Here's some of my suggestions:

- Take out the title (M310Designs.com) --> People are gonna hire you, Emanuel Melo, not M310Designs, so put your name instead.

- Put your title under your name, so people can know what service you are giving to them (character artist, environment artist, animator, etc...).

- I would maybe take out your the little text at the top (3D models page) because recruiters will look at your works first, if they like it, they are going to see yourself after that.

- The second image seems very blank and flat, adding more colors and dirt will give life to it.

- If you're aiming for environment, I would suggest you to take out the characters, not because they're not pretty, but it's not the main focus of your portfolio. If you're selling environment, show to people that you can make very cool environment. :)

That's all! Good luck dude! :)
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I agree with the others as well, and if you got some textures laying around you might want to show them as well along with your environments. Being a game artist is also about dealing with optimization/budget as well so it's a good thing if you can show tricounts/texture-sizes.

Good luck man