Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Max Hancock

Hi everyone, I have been browsing the forum for a while but haven't interacted much until now. I'll be graduating college soon so I'm trying to pump out some nice stuff for my upcoming demo reel. I've jumped onto a guy's project I came across on the internet -- he recently began coding a kart racing game in DirectX and I've wanted to do something like that for a while, so my roommate and I are doing the 3D assets. I'm hoping I can get some input in texturing, as I am not sure how to set all this stuff up. First off, here are some progress shots of the first track and kart:

terrainprog01.jpg
terrainprog02.jpg
terrainprog03.jpg

Since we're not using using a pre-made engine, just DirectX, some of the nicer features these days like texture blending may not be doable. We are going for a cartoony style anyways so I'm fine with hand-painting the transitions between dirt and grass, etc. The issue I've run into for now is how to unwrap the track path. The path texture tiles vertically, but how would I unwrap it to use that? In 3ds's Unwrap UVW, I tried doing a Spline unwrap as I have a spline running along the path, and that ALMOST worked perfectly. The issue was the cage kept twisting upside down so the areas between that are warped.

Any help is appreciated. I am just not sure how to texture large terrains without vertex painting and stuff. Hopefully we can get that working after all. We're going for a cutesy cartoony style so anyone with some specific advice in that direction would be great.

As for the actual game, the basic driving and lap-counting is built. Handling needs a lot of work but it's at least very easy to get the stuff from my max files into the game. Dunno when I can hand out a release but I'll post it when I can.

Replies

• DarkStar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that in the uvw editor your have to make a square generic dirt texture. After that u have to take avery single poly row separatly and make them overlap in the editor!

I seen this somewhere, try it and u will see!
  • kouotsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I figured out a quick way to do it right before bed thankfully! I used 3ds's "UVW Mapping" modifier and chose the Plane option. It somehow unwrapped the road perfectly so they were all pointing in the right direction except for like 4. Just rotated those manually and now I'm set.

Still hoping the guy coding says we can blend textures after all. Just don't see hand-painted transitions working in some areas.
  • kouotsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm doing two character models in the next couple of weeks for class. I'm working on the team for a fighting game called Skullgirls and I'd like to try doing one of the characters in 3D. Made a quick model sheet and got most of her clothes modeled out.

reference pic
    sg_hd_character_lineup_umbrella.png

quick model sheet
    sheet_umbrella.jpg

have a turbo smooth on everything but the hat to see how they'll subdivide
    umbprog.png

I was hoping to try doing this character in Zbrush from the start, but I just haven't used Zbrush enough to do it. Just gonna import the base mesh like I'm used to doing. Getting the cartoony face accurate in Zbrush would probably be a huge pain anyways.
  • kouotsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    progress, pretty much done with the base for the clothing

umbprog2.png