Home Technical Talk

[3DS 2010] Artefacts on boolean'd cylinder

LuckyNinja
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
LuckyNinja polycounter lvl 11
So, I'm trying to cut some rounded holes into a cylinder, and so I use a boolean (I know - big mistake I guess) to cut the holes into them. Now, as usual, it causes a load of shading errors, presumably due to the vertexes.

However, I tried to remove the problem by taking the extra vertexes and cutting them to end of the cylinder, making them form quads.

5421800363_d6339ac8b7_b.jpg

however, it's still causing the errors, albeit in a more tidier manner

5422406174_12b429e151_z.jpg

How do I solve this? Many thanks in advance,

Lucky

Replies

• Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    You hit the nail on the head yourself, it's the vertex positions. You probably haven't got a smooth curve so it'll just look like that.

It can be tricky to make these kinds of holes on curved edges, often snapping to edges while moving verts can be ok.

But it's best to create a flat poly, make these holes in it and then curve for this shape.
  • LuckyNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LuckyNinja polycounter lvl 11
    Wesley wrote: »
    You hit the nail on the head yourself, it's the vertex positions. You probably haven't got a smooth curve so it'll just look like that.

It can be tricky to make these kinds of holes on curved edges, often snapping to edges while moving verts can be ok.

But it's best to create a flat poly, make these holes in it and then curve for this shape.

Thanks for the quick response - how do I select snap to edge? I keep on forgetting.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    It's on the Ribbon, under the Graphite Modeling Tools, then on the Edit tab.