Home Technical Talk

God rays indoors?

keyframe
Offline / Send Message
SnakeDoctor keyframe
Hey I have been doing some test with the UDK. I have found out how to do stained glass by using translucent shadows. I was wondering is there a way I can add some subtle god rays in an entirely closed environment just from windows?

Here is an example from what I am talking about

http://vimeo.com/7013985 (sorry for the link I tried to embed.)

turn to 14 seconds for the example.

Thanks for the help.

Replies

• haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Could do something like a volumetric light beam material on a mesh.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/VolumetricLightbeamTutorial.html
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    That's Mental Ray he's using. Cheating, essentially ;)
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    Xoliul wrote: »
    That's Mental Ray he's using. Cheating, essentially ;)

hahaha. It's so weird clicking on a link and seeing your reel. Yeah for those god rays I used Mental Ray, which is not cheating Xoliul. ;) hehehe. By the way, love your realtime shader for Max. It is awesome. Thanks for that.

but that link that haiddasalami posted looks awesome. Going to try that next in the project I am working on.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Hah, no offence meant dude :p
    I said it with a wink because I know it's a silly discussion. I guess i'm just trying to say it's never easy to get fancy effects from an offline render to look the same with realtime techniques.
    Does make it more fun if you're technically minded. I completely stopped using renderers like Vray and Mental Ray once I started writing my own shaders and messing around in UDK.
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Hah, no offence meant dude :p
    I said it with a wink because I know it's a silly discussion. I guess i'm just trying to say it's never easy to get fancy effects from an offline render to look the same with realtime techniques.
    Does make it more fun if you're technically minded. I completely stopped using renderers like Vray and Mental Ray once I started writing my own shaders and messing around in UDK.

Non taken Xoliul. I I totally got it. I really admire your shader work.

cheers!