Home Technical Talk

Maya 2011 smooth mesh preview not working correctly on quads?

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
So I made a quad, hit 3 to see it in smooth mesh preview and it did not turn into a circle, any idea? I deleted my prefs and the issue still happens. Smooth mesh preview works fine on 3d objects but not planes. Strangely enough if I extrude the outer edges of the plane it works fine, is this a new bug in Maya 2011, I went back to 2010 and the issue does not exist.

Replies

• Modesty Blaze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had the same issue. It's not a bug, but for some reason you need to select the object, go in to the Attribute editor / Smooth mesh (see to that "smooth mesh preview" is checked) / Extra controls (choose Legacy or Crease edges.

Voil
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Hmm, this has always been the case no?
    It's the same behavior as default smooth mesh settings, as well as the Turbosmooth and Meshsmooth modifiers in 3dsmax, and subdivision in Zbrush, a quad only becomes a circle if you have an extra loop around it.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Bal, this is new to maya 2011, I went back and checked in maya 2010 the quad is a circle when smoothed.

Modesty Blaze, thanks yeah that does the trick I guess they've changed as they are now referring to it as legacy.