Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Knights: Spiral Islands Art dump

Hey guys, uhh its been a long time!

Figured id come out of hiding from under a rock. With much help from some friends in the industry iv come back to life, So I am going to leave it at that and see what good or bad things you guys have to say about the project my new little studio is cranking out.

So the game is called Knights, and the first episode is called Spiral Islands, our focus is to develop the relatively small episode that is Spiral Islands, then releasing, instead of attempting to complete an entire game in one go.

There is not a whole lot of information about knights floating around, so feel free to ask me any questions you like, id be more than happy to explain.

Heres a short blurb about it on playgroundstate.com

So anyway, enough talk, Here is some pictures, Ill be getting some high resolution pics up of the scrapper soon since a few people have been requesting it. but for now, here is this, enjoy.

Scrapper In-game Shots
74688_470338646743_591946743_6327783_2041540_n.jpg

74688_470338651743_591946743_6327784_1182476_n.jpg

Scrapper Rig

156646_467451186743_591946743_6286020_381834_n.jpg

Also, Here is one of the scrappers animations.

Scrapper Low poly and basic difuse texture

75652_452772026743_591946743_6088220_232455_n.jpg

Weapons for the Knights.

148690_454840511743_591946743_6108973_2432345_n.jpg

Carcenite weapons. (yes, the crabs have guns, i know, how cool is that, they are also pirates)

68815_447156231743_591946743_5980918_2762653_n.jpg

The Knights concept art for now, aspects of him are subject to change, but this is prettymuch the design at this point.

32530_399395271743_591946743_4822123_7092645_n.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmRVoJVoG08"]Also, We are having an online fundraiser! on February 15th, so please watch this video to learn more and stay tuned[/ame]

^^^ watch to see my ugly mug talking ^^^

All things knights and playground state can be found at http://www.playgroundstate.com

Also check out our poster - and feel free to print this and post it wherever you want :D
Check out the QR codes on it with your phone.

Promo02.JPG

Here is a link to the high resolution poster

Any Help i can get in spreading the word about the online fundraiser would be amazing! if you have any ideas, suggestions or tips, let me know, and if your willing to re-post the video anything, or hang the poster anywhere, i would love you forever.

Thanks for reading.

Barry

Replies

• HyPer128
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crabs pirates with guns, how can you go wrong?
    69496_467502736743_591946743_6286774_8214418_n.jpg

Speaking of guns
    148315_458501011743_591946743_6153397_2547267_n.jpg
  • Melonman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This guy looks cool as f**k how many polys is he?
    Do you actually play as this guy aswell or do you control just the knights?
  • Callesw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy shit, awesome!
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    Noel linked them a couple of days ago, fucking awesome stuff.
    And you look like Wil Wheaton in the video
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Interesting idea.
    Just to throw some suggestions at you here, I like crab monsters, but this guy is a little busy. I get lost and a little confused looking at it, especially around the head area. Does this creature have eyes? A mouth? I can't figure out where they are. So you might want to clear up some of the detail.
    The gun it's holding also looks very out of place. It doesn't seem to fit the crab monster and comes off as feeling like it was just stuck on there.
    Also, just personal preference, but have you looked at pictures of blue crabs for texture ref? Seems like it might be cool.
    Sorry if you posted your wip earlier

Also, I can't tell if the video is a joke? I would remove the awkward shots of just you standing there. Is there any reason you chose to shoot by the water and outside?

I wish the best of luck to you dude, seems like quite a thing to attempt. Are you worried about not being able to hold up to your promises at all? I'd imagine there's a limit you're going to reach at some point where you can't expand, or maybe you overestimated your texture or polycount budget. That's what I'd be concerned about at least. PS. Your poster doesn't seem to be working.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Welcome back Barry, it's been a very long time.

I hope you guys are very successful with your project. The art seems like an evolution on the Eon style with chitinous crenelations on the characters.

I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Btw, how's your brother doing?
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    THAT CRAB MODEL IS AMAZING!
    looks awkward with the guns tho, might be just me.
  • dekorkh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dekorkh triangle
    So Awesome!

It's weird because on one hand it's one of the cleanest crab monsters I've seen but it totally does feel busy... I wonder if it's the white speks on the blue shells or that maybe there should be more of a color change in the blue as you get closer to the head. Like a deeper blue for the shells on the legs and gradually lighten it to the turquise that you have as you get higher? I would say same for the white - maybe more pink in the belly and gradually more white towards the head and claws.. maybe that'll help the shapes read better when they overlap?

I don't know - its awesome, so clean, so cool! :D
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I dig it, looking forward to seeing some knights!
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    this thing looks cool.

Think making the eye stalks red would help center an area of interest... cause right now like what other here are saying, it's a pretty busy model.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome model and awesome color..but my eyes just can't focus anywhere on the model and drives me insane, haha. Usually people look to the face for a character..maybe do something so we know exactly where his face is.. War Paint?
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Oh man, that guy, err crab, is awesome! I like the juxtaposition of the crab and gun, He's menacing but kinda silly at the same time. Seems to be a a nice sense of humor with the picts posted. Looking forward to more...
  • HyPer128
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Ho.

Lee.

Shit.

I must admit, yes, he is a little busy around the head... maybe a couple relatively smooth areas to really contrast the highly detailed areas?
  • uneditablepoly
    Lovin' that knight concept. Cool idea all around, really.
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is amazing
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    Its a crab with a gun...this is so awesome, I love the coloring on him..I will be a bit bold as to say the gun needs to be a opposite spectrum of color so it dosent blend together so much with the already existing blue crab...perhaps a red gun :p

Are you doing any special setups on your shaders for him in unreal...or keeping the K.I.S.S system on him?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    This looks great, you really seem to know what you're doing. I pledged some money to your project, as it doesn't happen often that an indie project appeals to me like this one :)
  • 4th-child
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4th-child polycounter lvl 7
    Shading modelling and texturing it just AWESOME!
  • HyPer128
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, so here is some screen shots from within the actual kickstarter video - So go watch the kickstarter video to see it in action

179875_499534736743_591946743_6797334_1163366_n.jpg

183899_500961731743_591946743_6814781_3020219_n.jpg

183899_500961726743_591946743_6814780_5910561_n.jpg

183899_500961721743_591946743_6814779_811345_n.jpg

183899_500961716743_591946743_6814778_2591095_n.jpg

183899_500961706743_591946743_6814777_8355974_n.jpg

We did it, got an environment to test everything in, finally, woo. Thanks largely to a new team member on knights, John, hes a mad man. he makes my art look better than i coulda hoped.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Damn this looks amazing!
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Holy crap, i didn't even realize it was you hyper. This is looking great.
    Can i suggest perhaps posting this over on reddit.com/r/gaming. They are nuts about indie developers.
  • HyPer128
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey dur32, tell ya what, if you or anybody else posts this on any major news sites, I will give guys the 30 dollar pledge package for free, maybe even the 150 if you do something insane to promote the fundraiser, i'm trying to somehow get the word out everywhere, so any help making this viral would go a looongggg way, and thanks for the tip on reddit, ill try and get it up there asap
    Thanks so much everyone for the tips/feedback, much appreciated
    when i have some time and am not swamped with contract work ill properly respond to everyone, i love hearing feedback, as some of you know, its been a while since iv shown anything to anybody at all, hah, tiz nice :D

talk to you guys soon, and thanks for the support!

and Xoliul! your the best, thankyou for the support!
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Nice models Per. The work is great, but a couple things about the videos-- I would get a better mic, or pay a little extra attention to the audio. I have been using a Blue Snowball, which seems very good for a USB mic.

You may want to think about adding a forum to your page also :)

Good luck!
  • HyPer128
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, i love that like 8 years later or whatever its been people still assume me and Per are the same person, :D but whos to say we arent? i mean, i even have 128 in my name, and i do live in oslo... no wait, i live in canada.
    whats that sunnagun upto?

yaaaaa, the audio is crappy, sorry about that, hah
    thanks for the tip, ill probably snag one for the next vid

oh also, the forums are in progress, going to need them soon, also a good tip
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    HyPer128 wrote: »
    Haha, i love that like 8 years later or whatever its been people still assume me and Per are the same person

haha, oops!
  • HyPer128
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i thought it was bad before, now the 128's gonna mess people up forsure, hah
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    BE PER FOREVER !!!
    Cool stuff man, funny thing is that I actually had to ask per if that was really you haha. another funny thing is I never pictured you looking like that, dunno why, but again, I imagined per to look like a badass Viking, imagine my disappointment :p

anyhow, cool looking stuff man, good to see you back on PC, it's been a while haha, looking forward to seeing more !
  • peppi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome work Per!

The crab guy sculpt is pretty mad on its own, but the texture adds a lot of extra structure. Love the color scheme. How long did you spend on this?
  • HyPer128
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vahl: Ill be Per if you want, i have a big beard and im 6 feet tall, i can also speak enough Norwegian to get laid thanks to per. so i can possibly pull off the viking thing better than him? like i always say, fake it till you make it!

Hjalp! Jag ar fisken! Du har en alg!

anyway, yea, i useto play like halo 2 on XBL with per, and i could almost hear his viking muscles rippling thru the microphone... thats what i told myself anyway.
    in my heart hes a viking, thats all that matters

Peppi: Thanks!
    on the crab sculpt? i dunno a few weeks atelast, i just used the standard brush, every shapes intentional, none of its just noise or brush trix.

and thanks for the warm welcome guys, my first post was slightly nerve wracking.. i thought "what if they dont like me, what if im not cool enough.. WHAT IF THEY STILL THINK IM PER!"
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    holy shit those environments looks cool. reminds me a lot of that special look Giants had. big fan of your old stuff, and your new stuff is even better.

the first video you posted though reminds me of Steve Holt's campaign video in Arrested Development. :] no offense. the community outreach will go along way though. (is that baffin island?)
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    greeat stuff, man! veru tight modelling, super neat texturing, is there any chance to see flats?
    btw, as far as you're not hyperna everything is ok)))
  • HyPer128
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uly: haha, yea, that first video looks like it was ment to be my "im dying, but i dont know how to tell you!" video more upbeat music coulda helped, hah but anything upbeat i put in there just wasnt working, hah, oh well :D

is what baffin island? where i was on the beach? its my front yard actually :D

Conte: sure, ill post some flats sometime soon when i have time.. Whos this hyperna? :O
    hah