Home Technical Talk

UV Seam after Normal bake (sigh)

Kawe
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Kawe polycounter lvl 8
After looking around whole evening yesterday I figured out that this is a very common issue. However I haven't been able to solve it even though I looked through lots of threads as well as the wiki :/

Applications used: ZBrush, Modo, XNormal and UDK.

udk_rocks.jpg

So at first I thought it looked pretty good but at a closer inspection ith as many flaws. Some of it is due to me being lazy and using a decimated model from ZBrush. However the biggest issue I found is the UV seam on top of each cliff model... and I don't think it's cause of my low poly.

Here's a closeup:

udk_uvseam.jpg

So after reading up a little and testing various thing I figured it must be because of my normal map bake. Since the model is a lot roudner without the normal map.

What I tried was to split the model along the UV seams since I read somewhere that UDK does that anyway so in order to get a good bake I had to do the same thing. However it didn't help me at all.

I also tried using an cage in XNormal (just pushed it out so it covered the hipoly) and it didn't yield any results either.

Well, I could go through everything I tested. But at the end of the day I still suspect that the issue has to do with the smoothing but since I'm using Modo I'm not entirely sure how I can control this and make sure it's the same in UDK and XNormal.

Oh right, here's the normal map:

cliff01_normals.jpg

Upon closer inspection I realized that I also get a seam with the xNormal 3D viewer. So it isn't even baking out correctly.

Maybe I just shouldn't have a seam there? But I couldn't figure out any other way to map this (I did it like a cylinder).

Replies