Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Super Frustrating Messed-up Topology: Naked Cat

madmuffin
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
Hey Polycount, it's been a while since I've posted anything. Back in like first year of college I started this cat model I never finished, and I decided to revisit it and finish it, but in the process of trying to get the right shapes and forms, I completely fucked up my topology beyond belief.

My problems are twofold:

-The model has a lot of smooth curves and rounded shapes, and to get those I had to add a lot of edges to the body, but I have no where to send those edges, most of them turn into tris welded to some other edge loop and it just all around looks pretty bad, and will make animating it later a pain.

-The topology in all the joint areas (shoulders/blades, hips, armpits, knees etc) is all fucked, and I'm completely sure how to fix it for animation.

I've never really completed a decent proper character model from scratch before with 'proper' animation edge loops so I have no idea where to lay them, and I can't find any models or tutorials online that really give me a good idea of how it should be laid out, besides THIS but my problem here is that I am a very hands-on person and have a lot of trouble trying to follow edge flow without the physical model here open in front of me in max, which as far as I looked was not provided anywhere.

I've reached the point where I've been staring at this model forever now, and I've gone completely blank in terms what to do and how to fix it. Without further ado:

nakedcat.png

nakedcattopology.png

And honestly I'm still not super satisfied with the general anatomy of the cat either. It sorta feels like from the midsection up and midsection down are two completely different models that are unrelated to one-another. The hands will become paws later, but besides that it just doesn't match.

For retrospect, the original blockout I made too many years ago now:

nakedcatblockout.png

Replies

• Mudkipz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What can I say about this one?..

I guess the cat's... got my tongue

*puts on sunglasses*
    (shameless friend bump)
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    You're probably going to get some shit from the lulz crowd about this being a furry model, but i actually like it a lot. What are your goals for it? You may just need to push onwards to outfit or texture or whatever you have planned, i think you're largely overthinking things and stalling.

I cant comment too much on the topology, but i like the shapes and think this looks pretty successfully cute. Anatomy is all around solid and charming. I think you abstracted the collarbone area way too much, though. It;s an important structure in the human body and i think it needs some love. I'm not saying to cut in crazy sharp collarbones, but think a bit more about how the neck and shpoulders connect to the body

As for your concerns about the figure -> The waist on a female is situated a little bit above the navel. Above that, it subtly tapers inwards until it meets the waist. Your figure is, for the most part, lacking a waist.

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/63078/63078,1246353206,2/stock-photo-slim-woman-body-32893786.jpg

this doesnt mean you ahve to go crazy hourglass, it can be very subtle, but that's the only thing i can see which would make you say the lower and upper body look disconnected.

Google yourself up a copty of Andrew loomis' Figure Drawing For All Its Worth. Head and hands gets posted around here a lot, but it has some excellent and confidence-building anatomy tips that will help you troubleshoot things like this.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    At least you are seeing the flaws in your model, that's a good thing. I would get rid of the loops you put for the armpit, they're pretty much useless. In a low poly model like this one, you simply focus on silhouette and not muscle detail.

Topology examples:
    http://www.pig-brain.com/tut02/tut02_01.htm
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryTopology

Once you undertsand why these works, go back to your model and fix the joints, and the good news is you don't need to rig the model to see how they deform.

Make sure you have selected the rotate gizmo, change your reference coordinate system to screen and on the right of the rollout change to "use transform coordinate center".

sw06a.jpg

When you move around the viewport, your gizmo should follow the mouse position, now you can select a limb and position your mouse where the bone's pivot point should be. Rotate and see how well it deforms.
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helpful stuff Psyk0, I've already looked through the Polycount wiki and that's where I found this website that I'd linked before. His range of articulation is the kind I am going for, like having the character be pushed to her physical extremes in terms of movement and articulation without it looking wonkified. Like Tomb Raider amount of movement.

You are right SupRore there is little to no waist right now, her torso sorta continues straight into the leg area. My problem is trying to ballance the cat to human characteristics, like I don't want her to be like Bayonetta 12 heads tall, but neither should it look like this:

fat+cat+8.jpg

I'll try and find that book/figure drawing thing though and check it out. For now I focused mainly on the upper body area today and cleaned up most of the horror-terror topogeo. There are still afew tris and edgeloops I am not satisfied with but it's a lot better then it was before.

nakedcatshouldertopolog.png
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    what are furries doing on mah polyocunt!?
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been busy lately but made time to work on this some more today. Topology got a little messed up again as I focused on fleshing out shapes and tweaking the anatomy. Before now it felt like the bottom and top halves of the model were from two separate characters to me, but now it's starting to feel like one single piece.

nakedcatreanatomy.png

Its midnight now but tomorrow I'm going to round the legs/hips area out a bit and make most of those nasty tri poles at the hip area run around the torso rather then converge at one point.
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nakedcattoponew.png

Still tweaking away. I'm starting to wish I have have sculpted it instead, but oh well. I'm still having a very difficult time with the hips/waist/legs/etc area, I can't get it to look natural rather then legs were just welded on haphazardly.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    c0ldhands wrote: »
    what are furries doing on mah polyocunt!?

LOL.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    madmuffin wrote: »
    nakedcattoponew.png

Still tweaking away. I'm starting to wish I have have sculpted it instead, but oh well. I'm still having a very difficult time with the hips/waist/legs/etc area, I can't get it to look natural rather then legs were just welded on haphazardly.

Think ya might be acting too hard on yourself mate! Lookin' fine to me! (However, I'm no character artist ;)) However, maybe the legs are a bit TOO muscular? It's definitely a bottom heavy model there...no?
  • Ikosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks nice mate:) think i'd make the hands and definatly the feet a little more paw like and chunky to emphasise the cat in her. Also maybe vary the shapes of the leg muscles, making the quads more promanent and meaty while making the calves (or whatever cats have:P) more slim and graceful
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I was going to give her paw hands I just haven't gotten around to it yet, keeps slipping my mind as I worked on other areas.

You're also right about the legs, I've had other people tell me they are too meaty right now as well, I'm just having trouble slimming her like you said, as it causes her legs start to look even more misplaced, but I'm working on it.

Cheetah.jpg

Something more like this should work, yes?
  • Ikosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think its the relationship between the upper and lower leg you need to get. Slimming the entire thing wont look as good i think. Just look at how massive the quad muscles are on that cheatah compared to how slim the leg gets below the knee
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'll do that, maybe not as huge quads since in the Cheetah that is like the power thrusters. Maybe if I just shrink the calf downward area and leave the thigh alone.
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update again after a hiatus there.

toponew.png

New arms and paw-like hands. Next step is going to retopo the legs and do final tweaks on the basic body shape until I am satisfied.
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    newlegs.png

New legs now. I think I liked it more when it was sharper then the smooth shape it is now, the back bit needs a little work.
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a bunch of leg variations, not sure which I want to go with yet. Having trouble getting the legs 'right'.

legsarray.png
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meshdonefornow.png

Ended up using a variation of 1 and 3. I think the mesh is pretty much done enough now, will move onto texturing and testing out rigs.
  • Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    it's good that you see the flaws in your model, I dunno if you're already done modifying the geo, but in the last wire you posted I can see the edge flow on the crotch/legs being especially problematic. Here's a great reference site for edge flow/toplogy

http://www.hippydrome.com/Sketches.html
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    Nice model but the shoulders look elongated.
    I´d push the arms a bit closer to the torso, should make it look more natural.
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't posted wires in a while, you're right.

topologyl.png

Current topology. I was using that website extensively before now, especially in the shoulder area. Still some tri-ing areas in places that I haven't/don't know what to do with.

From straight on in the front do you still think I should bring the shoulders in more Slaught? By like that one edgeloop maybe?
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shoulders.png

I reduced the shoulders by one edgeloop, do you think it looks better now?

I'm starting to look at it and feel like its too soft or smooth or whatever you want to call it now, like not a toned as I want.
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    happywithit.png

I think I am satisfied with her modeling now. Added muscle and rib definition to the front.
  • fuxer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuxer polycounter lvl 18
    she looks much better now. Legs look good too :)
  • edoran89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah sam thats come a long way, good job, now maybe......some clothes?!?!?! ; )
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    edoran89 wrote: »
    yeah sam thats come a long way, good job, now maybe......some clothes?!?!?! ; )

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14"]NOPE.[/ame]

But yeah clothes are in the pipeline. Current order of things is:
    1. Model
    2. Rig
    3. Fix topology so rig works
    4. UV
    5. Texture
    6. ???
    7. PROFIT!!!

All of which will probably have to wait post-dominance war.
  • krisCrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    krisCrash polycounter lvl 9
    Shoulders are better, but they still feel too wide, joint offset from the body. I think it is that the back is so narrow, to me the top of the arm starts more "inside the torso space", so give her some of that latissimus dorsi AND move her arm origin forward. Otherwise it makes the shoulder look double jointed, to me.

An opinion: get rid of some of alll that leg geo :3 and thicken her feet ("taller" foot)

She is adorable :3
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish googling "Latissimus Dorsi" didn't yield so many gore pictures. Forgive me if I am wrong but I have trouble with technical terminology at times, I'm a much more visual person.

changesp.png

Do you mean something like this? Also you are right the legs are like twice the poly of the rest of the body, something I meant to get rid of before now but just slipped my mind I suppose.

I forgot to draw it but by thicken the feet do you mean like taller toes?
  • PLing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the legs looked better on the low-poly one because they widened towards the bottom of the feet. Now they look more tubular all the way down. I think I liked it better when the knee was upper as well, don't know if that's anatomically correct though, not having studied animals that extensively.