Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ender's Games Project Page

Hello all, been a lurker here for a while and now working on models for my first game. Please bare with me as these models are pretty much the first time i am creating for public view. I am currently working on my first room. Some specs that I will need to for my finished product.

Game will be on android devices
Not going to use normals or lighting
keep total polygon count under 2000 for each room (character models included)

I am using Blender to construct the rooms. I will be using texture baking to create the illusion of lighting in the game engine. Got some pretty interesting results so far. Here is the basic room.
1.jpg
Things I need to add:
  • Doors
  • Windows
  • Area rug
  • Plants
  • Paintings
  • Wall lights
  • Center table with chairs
  • Draperies
So in the next few days I will show the completion of the room. Also, I would like some creative criticism. Thank you :)

-Brian

Replies

• mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    I was highly confused for a second when I saw your name and thread title. I was like, "Oh snap, someone's created content from the Ender's Game series. *CLICK with haste!*" I am now disappointed :(

But anyway, what are you modeling here? Obviously a room of some sort, but tell us more about your project. Concept art really helps. Otherwise I guarentee you you're going to get halfway through doing this room and have this "bleh" feeling.

I know you've just started, but if I could offer some critique already, these colors, patterns and amount of tilling makes me want to projectile vomit all over my keyboard. So far the bricks are it's only saving grace, and those you probably should be tiling.

Here's an idea: Get or make a texture of clean bricks. and tile that image. Then, to add detail on the cheap, make some planes and use a grunge brush in photoshop to add some grout, create an alpha mask for it and then place that plane very close to your brick mesh. It will look like it's a unique texture, but really it's not.

EDIT: I just saw you're doing this for Andriod. I think the idea I had would still be appropriate, but make sure you're tiling as much as you can. Textures take up the most room, by far, compared to geometry.
  • EndersGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL, yeah...I love that book too. But Ender's Games is my "indie company" name. In fact, I have that name registered for my online game store. :icon15:

Tell me about it. I know what you mean by Bleh! At the moment, it looks like an ugly piece of garbage.

Right now i was just making the basic room colors. With the floor tiles and and wallpaper. I plan to add a large area rug and bump map all the tiles.

For the fireplace I am using a tiled texture map. yes, I was going to grunge it up with soot and stuff.

And for the wallpaper, i was going to create some torn areas to show the plaster and lath wall underneath.

The game is going to be a basic 3rd person survival horror game. It will be set in a old victorian style estate. So this is pretty much my first 3d game i am making. I have my basic 3d engine running, But now i need to make some levels to get the little thing working.

As for concept art. I am using interior reference pictures of Victorian houses.

Thanks for the critique. When i post some more, i hope to get more. :)

-Brian
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    so your companys name is just taking the name of a suscesfull popular series of books and swiping it? wouldnt that name be someone elses IP?

as for the room it seems like you are just jumping in and making random textures and pieces an sticking it together, work more on form and shape and themes.

the textures are really busy and noisy, sometimes less is more also the full bright lifhts dont help
  • EndersGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    so your companys name is just taking the name of a suscesfull popular series of books and swiping it? wouldnt that name be someone elses IP?

as for the room it seems like you are just jumping in and making random textures and pieces an sticking it together, work more on form and shape and themes.

the textures are really busy and noisy, sometimes less is more also the full bright lifhts dont help

If you look around, there are plenty of people using Ender's Game. There is even a band using that name. I sell Magic Cards and other games on my website so I use Ender's Games. Most people dont even associate me with the book. There is more then one Ender.

Anyway. Yeah, the wallpaper is a bit noisy. I added a wood baseboard and some torn sections of the wallpaper. What you are seeing in the first picture is just a viewport render. I didn't want the light falloff in there because i was just looking at solid texture mapping for now
    Stradigos wrote: »

But anyway, what are you modeling here? Obviously a room of some sort, but tell us more about your project. Concept art really helps. Otherwise I guarentee you you're going to get halfway through doing this room and have this "bleh" feeling.

I know you've just started, but if I could offer some critique already, these colors, patterns and amount of tilling makes me want to projectile vomit all over my keyboard. So far the bricks are it's only saving grace, and those you probably should be tiling.

Here's an idea: Get or make a texture of clean bricks. and tile that image. Then, to add detail on the cheap, make some planes and use a grunge brush in photoshop to add some grout, create an alpha mask for it and then place that plane very close to your brick mesh. It will look like it's a unique texture, but really it's not.

EDIT: I just saw you're doing this for Andriod. I think the idea I had would still be appropriate, but make sure you're tiling as much as you can. Textures take up the most room, by far, compared to geometry.

Yes, i am tiling the bricks. I added a bump map to make it look better. I will get to making the bricks have soot and darken the grout later.

For now, here is a new picture showing more work done. I have baked the textures into one texture to show the light falloff in game.

My next steps is to add stains to the walls.

As always, creative critique is welcome :)

2.jpg

-Brian