Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Paris Building

Hi! I quickly rendered out the model I started working on and would appreciate any feedback/advice. I'm still in the process of modeling a couple more things, but do you see any hiccups I may be overlooking? I'm planning to take advantage of the modular pieces and texture it soon.

How do I approach the visible interior? Should I model assets or create an illusion with textures? Advice? Any ideas are welcome! Thanks! :)

Concept by Olga Ciob
8IcpW.jpg

b4gdm.jpg

Replies

• Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good. The only two things with the geometry that catch my eye at the moment are that those semi-circle pieces coming out of the angled roof aren't scaled the same as in the concept and the top 3 thin concrete layers are all the same size in the concept where as in yours only the top 2 look the same.

As for the windows, it depends on a few things. What type of game is this for (FPS, RTS)? How close will the player get to it? Depending on these two you might be able to get away with a flat texture on the windows.

Also depending on what kind of shop it is, you might be able to get away with doing sealed off window displays. This way you'd get the benefit of having more detailed 3D items behind the windows but you wouldn't have to model and texture the entire inside of the shop.
  • tharle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    it depends what you're modelling this piece for. if it's a high res next gen piece that a player could potentially walk right up to/in then go ahead and model it. if it's more of a background piece then just stick with an image i'd say. if you're making the piece for a game or animation then you might want to stick the image behind the window with a negative displacement map to create the illusion of depth.

tharle

edit - i do love how pretty much every answer to every question about game art is "depends what its for" :D
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Javier, if the piece is intended to be interactive and close to the players space, I would model out a very simple interior with some very light assets to communicate the type of storefront, etc. Separate the windows as alphas and materials for a lower opacity so that the interior is not clearly visible, but visible enough to hint the space.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I'd say two things:

1- the wood squares at the bottom stick out too much.

2- at the top windows, the 'trim details' under the arch go all the way back to the window. In the ref they kind of do too, but they are kind of blurry and hidden.
    I'd probably shrink the windows horizontally and put an extra piece in there so those trims hit a 'wall', not a window.

On the right side they come in next to the window, on yours they overlap the window.
  • JavierOlazabal
    Thanks for the quick feedback everyone! These are some clever ideas to cheat the interior. I'm planning to put this in UDK in the future (FPS). I didn't notice some of the scale issues. Thanks you guys! I'll try to post updates soon. :)