Home Technical Talk

Good surface deformation on characters

hi all the talented people on the interweb, i am an animation student in the uk.

before i took animation i took games computing and that's where i developed intense interest in characters.

i've made a few characters and if you're interested please have a look, i like feedback especially criticism.
http://www.vimeo.com/18446688

as you may notice (if you looked at my stuff ^_^) i'm a big fan of realistic style, and i intend to take that style beyond the static visual. i have been trying to create a rig that provides good (good i mean i'd like to see muscle movements under skin) animation. recently i've been playing with ICE in Softimage and found that movement of vertex can be controlled, with quite amazing level of precision, by combination of various ICE tree nodes. it's a bit like programming which i don't mind. i also found a character can be rigged entirely with ICE.

before i devote my final year into making an ICE rig with good surface deformation i would like to do more research, at the moment i can't seem to find any proper educational material on the subject, so i turn to you masters of the digital art for a hopeful solution.

if anyone know of anything (even just knowledge of a friend of yours being able/unable to achieve it with ICE, or even something remotely similar) please point me in the right direction, it will be greatly appreciated.

i will give anything to have a look at a working ICE tree rigged character.

best regards,

Ding