Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – tharle

tharle
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
tharle polycounter lvl 9
right, i've been on here a few weeks now so i guess it's about time i share some of my work and see what people think.

tharle.carbonmade.com

i finished studying at Escape Studios in London at the end of last year and am hopefully going to be starting to apply for some jobs in the next week or so, so please be harsh with your crits/comments!

cheers

tharle

Replies

• Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dismembered polycounter lvl 9
    I would put some wires of the scenes you have up as well as the flats, so your potential employers can see your level of efficiency. And some larger renders/screenshots couldn't hurt either.

I like the layout of the website. One thing that bugs me, and it just may be me, but after cycling through all the pictures I have to go all the way back through them to get to your main page. Maybe you could add a button to "Go back to Home Page" or something along those lines.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    The work seemed solid to me but nothing really stood out as particularly impressive. I'd recommend working on something much cooler looking for your next scene or asset. Something unique that stands out from everyone else's work. In my experience there's usually one piece that sticks out in people's minds and separates you from other candidates. During interviews I've gotten "oh, you're that guy that made the flakk cannon, that was cool", and that is the way people remembered me. If I saw your portfolio again a month from now, I probably wouldn't remember it.
  • Orchidface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orchidface polycounter lvl 7
    Looking pretty good. One thing that bugs me I think about the environments is there is nothing in the far distance. I feel like there should be some very distant tall buildings or mountains back there or something, especially in your splash damage art test. But more importantly, those environments just do not have enough stuff in them. I would expect your San Gimignano environment to have a ton more junk in it. Stuff against the walls, planter boxes, or something. Maybe your reference didn't, but perhaps then you need to find more interesting reference/concept. I suppose this is along the lines of what Predator said... Just make it cooler, haha. Whether you make it more impressive because its balls deep in detail, has a powerful mood to it, or its cool because of a crazy concept, find a way to make it more impactful.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    great stuff youve got there. :D id basically agree with what the 3 post previous to mine said. only thing i saw in any of your work that really bothered me was a gigantic texture seam (dunno if its intentional?) along the floor in the first shot of your rooftop environment. also not quite sure how carbonmade works with linking, but maybe see if you can get some hi-res shots of certain things.. like your garbage props.. wouldve been nice to be able to zoom into some detail on that.
  • tharle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    cheers for the feedback, i've added a few wire and texture shots but can't do much about the image size or back button unfortunately since carbonmade are an off the shelf portfolio site.

i'm working on something that should hopefully give my portfolio that much needed "wow" factor before i go back and work into these piece a little more - i'll keep you posted!
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I like your work good stuff, as people said wireframes are a good idea. Another is maybe more props?
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Great stuff. The lighting seems to be identical across the pieces. Maybe push some more contrast in the lighting. Otherwise looks good.
  • Crazy Andy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy Andy polycounter lvl 12
    In my new spirit of less words and more pictures, here are my humble suggestions...

My_Crit.jpg
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
    Man, your lighting in all your scenes are killing them. Come up with a more dynamic lighting setup, get pools of light going and make it more interesting to look at. Throw some unique props in there to get peoples attention.
    Your environments right now are not telling any kind of story, except hey look i'm an alley, or hey i'm a grass field etc..
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    I like your work, really cool stuff. Agree with what others have said about nothing really standing out though. So def. make a KILLER next piece. With taht being said the one problem I have with your enviro's is in the splash damage test its' supposed to be a dock, aka a very wet environment, whereas yours doesn't look wet at all. I feel like a really nice spec map with help really push that piece to the next level in terms of texturing.

On the first level you may also want to increase the size of the bricks on the building in the back slightly, there were some points were you could notice the tiling, and it got a little fuzzy, so either increase the size or the AA sampling..

Great work.
  • tharle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    right, i've added another piece that i think turned out quite well and taught me loads about foliage and water in udk. I've also gone back into some of the older work and tried to make the lighting more dynamic and added a few more props/assets to make the scenes more alive.

crits and comments welcome as always!

tharle.carbonmade.com